My New Home

"It's freezing out here. We aren't seriously walking are we?" I asked incredulously. The cold was already making me shake. I wrapped my arms around myself to still the trembling.

       Xavier grinned, "well not walking exactly. Come over here" he beckoned to me happily.

       I walked over hesitantly and stopped a couple feet in front of him. Raising my eyebrows I waited for an explanation.

      "I'm going to run. I'm going to shift and you're gonna ride on my back." He paused blushing. "I forgot my car..",

       Laughing I looked at him incredulously. "You want me to ride on your back?" I paused. I have never even seen a werewolf... Now I'm going to ride one? He seemed to read my mind.

       "Don't worry. Even in my other form I am never going to hurt you. Annalise, you're my only mate. It's all going to be fine."

       With a deep breath he closed his eyes and concentrated. He dropped to his knees, his face contorted and his muscles writhing under his skin. Hair sprouted and limbs lengthened. His clothes split and a blue-grey wolf stepped out of the remains. He licked his paw and ran it across his ears. The wolf, Xavier, looked at me and grinned a wolfish grin.

     I smiled widely. I couldn't help it. He was beautiful and he looked silly with his lopsided mouth. He looked at me expectantly and somehow I knew what he wanted. I strode over to where he was standing and paused. I was nervous. How does one ride a wolf?

      All of a sudden tremors wracked my body. I fell to my knees and wrapped my arms around myself shaking. My mind went blank and I fell to the driveway.

      *            **            ***         *

      I woke to a nose prodding my cheek. Opening my eyes I came face to face with a blue-grey wolf.

My wolf. I thought hazily. Where'd that thought come from? I dismissed it. I realized I didn't recognize any of my surroundings. And it smelled different. Almost briny... But in a good way. I rolled over sheepishly. Everything felt weird, smaller and more compact. there was a mirror next to me and looking at my reflection I almost had a heart attack.

       I was a wolf.. A dark, brindle coloured wolf. I scrambled upwards, almost falling again due to my unfamiliarity of standing on all fours. I stare, panicking at my reflection as I see Xavier pacing around beside me. I turn to him and attempt to ask a question. All that escapes my mouth is a muffled whimper. He turned to me and rubbed up against me, mixing his woodsy scent with my more... Well, panicky scent. Automatically I felt my heart rate slow and I began to calm. I started as his tail flicked me in my nose. But something convinced me to remain still until he was done. There was something intimate about the way he was getting to know me in this form. Already I felt as if I knew him ten times better than I did after meeting him in person.

      Xavier sprang off out of the door and not wanting to be alone I bounded after him, stumbling on new legs. He led me through a large house, almost a Mansion, just not as formal. Through a kitchen and a living room, past many bedrooms and out into the yard and into the surrounding trees. I chased him for miles before he stopped and flopped onto his stomach in the middle of a snow covered clearing. I collapsed next to him panting, I still wasn't used to this form.

      I looked at him puzzled and his response came to me as an image in my mind. One of him and I leaping joyfully through the forest. And for the first time in a while, a warm content sensation flooded my body and I was relaxed. At peace with the idea. It was meant to be. Xavier and me.