chapter 9

I groaned as I woke up. I was in a cart and we were inside the walls once more. Confused, I say up only to be knocked back by the pain in my head. I gently but quickly ack down. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin were looking at me. Emotions played a crossed their face: fear, happiness, confusion. I smiled but it probably looked like a grimace.

I groaned again as my head pulsed with pain. They all looked concerned.

"Are you okay?" Armin asked, I sit up slowly trying to ignore and and all pain I had.

"Rest, just rest," Eren tells me. Mikasa gently pushed me back into my laying position. I closed my eyes before opening them again.

"Are.. they okay?" I questioned with a raspy voice, concerned for my comrades. I had hoped everything was just a dream, that I didn't witness everyone dying before my very eyes.

"Who?" Mikasa asked. I felt fear course through my whole body.

"Is squad Levi okay?" I nearly yelled out, causing pain to shoot throughout my head at such a volume my wind piped produced. Eren winced when I asked about squad Levi.

"I killed them didn't I? I'm a murderer. I shouldn't deserve to live. I killed my friends!" I said in hysterics. Someone trotted over making me turn my head to see Petra.

"Only two of the six people in squad Levi died. You didn't kill anyone. Actually you saved me and Olou," Petra tells me. I smiled lightly knowing any more movement could make me pass out from the pain. "And thanks to you I can see my family again."

"And thanks to you, you captured the female titan. It was Annie," Eren tells me quietly. I gasped not wanting to believe it.

"Annie? The female titan? No, that can't be right!" I gasped.

Armin looked away saying, "I know, we didn't want to believe it either," in a soft voice. I try to sit up again-- mostly due to stubbornness-- but was gently pushed down by Levi and Hanji. I looked at them. They had grave expressions on their faces.

"How many died? Where are their bodies?" I questioned after realizing that I didn't see any of the bodies. I need to see if any of my friends died. I want to say my goodbyes for the last time.

"I didn't count how may, but quite a few died," Hanji tells me as she adjusts her glasses. I hear the rants, shouts, and insults people are yelling at us; at the Survey Corps.

"Where are they then?" I questioned waiting for an answer. Everyone looked away. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin became interested in the little kids with happy expressions on their faces. Petra and Hanji became interested in their nails and Levi just stared ahead. I gritted my teeth and my face showed annoyance.

"What happened to our fallen comrades?" I growled.

"Their gone, okay? Dead. We had to roll them off the wagons because of the idiot that tried to got for their fallen friend," Levi almost shouted, making me gasp. "Now rest," He commanded. "That's an order. Come on Hanji, Petra." They looked at me sympetically before they followed Levi. I closed my eyes and let the exhaustion take over me. The memory of what happened on the expedition came at me.

[ Flash back ]

A cloaked figure flew past us. Gunther turned to see who it was.

"Commander Levi?" He questioned. I got a closer look, seeing that it wasn't him.

"Gunther no! That's not Le--" I was cut off when the person cut the neck of Gunther. I gasped as tears fell from my eyes. I wiped them away, looking forward.

There was a flash of light and a loud thud was followed. The ground and trees shook with the force of something hitting it. In an instant, the female titan was in front of us. Petra, Olou, and Eld looked at us.