Chapter Seven

Pethaford made his way to the fair; the whole town seemed to be at the event. Cars were parked all across the streets and in the grass. People were everywhere, and everyone seemed to be having a good time. Pethaford enjoyed giving a speech every year at this event because everyone was in a good mood, and his speech always took place at the best time of the day because everyone was still around.

He made his way through the crowd to find his right-hand man, Tom. Tom had been with Pete through thick and thin, and even though they both had a very poor meeting last time, they were all smiles.

"What's the agenda for today?" asked Tom.

"Well, I'll let these fine folks enjoy their time and probably give the speech at high noon."

"Let me see it," Tom requests.

Pete handed the speech to him and after Tom looked through it he stated, "So you're really gonna go through with this?"

"I have to Tom. It's for the best and you cannot fight me."

"I'm not gonna fight ya, but you have to understand what you are doing. Those people are not about to like this."

Pete laughed at that remark and thus stated, "The people will be fine with this. They will not care; like you say."

"All right, just as long as you know what you're doing. You win every year, them people love ya, but I'm just wondering if maybe this might level your great stand."

"There's a reason I win every year, and that's because I'm the best, I know what I'm doing, and I get crap done." Pete huffed and puffed.

Tom noticed the quick change in Pete's attitude and reversed the subject to a lighter mood. Everything proceeded smoothly until Jennifer appeared into the picture.

"Hey guys, how ya'll doing?" Jen had a huge smile and knew she could get what she wanted from anyone except the mayor since they were married. Pete and Jen broke up a year ago, but they both were too lazy, and/or busy, to get the divorce papers in order and completed.

Tom, knowing this could go poorly, quickly stepped in, "Jen, get the heck out of here!"

"Well...that was mighty blunt and rude...so, I was just wondering, if this man here gets elected to mayor again, can I get some of them moneys?"

"Jen, get outta here! You are not wanted and I will call the law enforcement for assault if ya don't leave!"

Tom was getting angry at this whole ordeal, because Tom knew if Pete got into the mix, things would get out of hand. It was unfortunate that Jen was stubborn and so she continued to push.

"So Pete, let's just make this official then and I can take all your money. Better yet, I could go to the Principal Law Enforcement and send you to jail."

Pete only blinked at the woman and calmly said, "I don't know what you are talking about. If you want to finally get the divorce papers all in order that is fine by me, but you will not get all my money. In fact, you won't get any of my money. I will fight for that in court and I will win, 'cause I always do. As far as this whole PLE thing goes, where would that get you? Why would you need the Principal Law Enforcement?"

"You know darn well why the PLE would get involved with the crap you're pulling!"

"But Jen, what are you talking about? Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine, but you won't be!" Jen stormed off realizing that she was getting nowhere with the conversation.

Tom turned to Pete and stated, "Well she might be a problem."

Pete laughed, "Naw, she ain't gonna be a problem. Those southern women sure are stupid though!" Tom and Pete had a good round of laughing.

Both Pete and Tom continued to talk for a while, but they moved on from the stage, and walked throughout the park getting food to eat.

About noon they walked back to the stage and Pete prepared to deliver his speech.

"Well Pete," said Tom, "good luck with your speech, I sure wouldn't want to be you."

Pete made his way on the stage, received the mic, and did some stand-up comedy. After about ten minutes, everyone listening to the speech could be heard laughing in what seemed to be one voice. Pete killed it, and Tom knew it.

How the heck does this man do this? They love him, but why? Tom wondered.

Pete went through his whole routine and later stopped after about twenty minutes and walked off the stage.

People chant. "More, more, more, more!"

Pete came back to the mic and began again. "Well folks, that's all for the jokes. Now, let's get serious."

Pete went over the speech he wrote yesterday and the crowd was on his every word. The crowd was not angry.

"...the building you all go to every week will be destroyed. This has to be done. The town will be stronger without it; the town will flourish because of it! This day you fight for honor...for prosperity!"

In the crowd a few chuckle, but the rest were still hanging on Pete's every word, wondering why and what this means.

At once, someone in the crowd yelled out, "But why? Why do you have to do this? It brings you no harm."

Pete glared at the man. The man's eyes light up as if he realized what he said. Pete continued to stare for a minute at this man and the man continued to pull back.

Pete said nothing, but at this point Tom came up to the mic and got the crowd going. Saying a bunch of things like, "Pete gave you all this and he can give you more if you trust him! Has he ever let you down? Has he ever lied to any of you? I say no! He has changed this town for the better! Look at our hospital. It is quickly becoming nationally known for innovative new ways to fight diseases. Or our schools, take a look at the new elementary school that was built only a couple years ago. Hasn't that been bringing in people from neighboring areas? All these things are because of this man before you. He has given you all and will continue to give you more. All you need to do is trust him."

Tom's speech was all that was needed for the crowd to become ecstatic. Not crazy with hate, but crazy with ecstasy. Pete and Tom glanced at each other and smiled. Pete reached out his hand and took hold of Tom's shoulder, nodded his head, walked away, departing the stage. Tom followed him.

"How do you do it?"

"Do what? Tom, it was you that really got them going."

Tom and Pete turned the corner and were out of sight from the crowd. Pete turned around and grabbed Tom's throat, pushing him up against a wall.

"If you ever take my spotlight again, you will pay for it Tom! Who are the people voting for? You? No! Me!"

Tom tried to say something, but he cannot.

"Yeah that's right Tom, you are speechless. That's what I wanted the crowd to be, speechless because of me. I had that one man gripping in fear. This was about fear and power and here you go trying to say all the wonderful things I have done. Would I have gotten to all of that? Yes! Give me some time to say. Okay?"

Pete released Tom from his grip and turned towards the stage.

Pete made a double take and turned back around toward Tom saying to him, "Just get out of here, before you mess something else up. I'm doing just fine without you."

Pete proceeded back on the stage and continued to declare to the crowd.

Tom walked away stunned.