Chapter 3

Phil's POV

I finally did it.

I kissed Dan.

He didn't fight back, or back away like I thought he would.

Instead, he kissed back passionately, seemingly melting into the kiss.

His lips tasted faintly of strawberries, the ones we shared earlier.

Then his mom walked in.

"What the hell is this? You fucking fags! Why would you do this to my son?"

His mom was shouting now, walking closer to me, grabbing my shoulders.

I shook my head, trying to move under her grip.

She pushed me against a wall, now breathing on my face.

"Why would you mess up my son? This is your fault! My son isn't a queer!"

She yelled and yelled, spilling cruel thoughts into my ears.

Dan fought me to try and stop her, but with my eyes, I told him not to.

I could take this, if I had to, for Dan.

Soon enough she stopped yelling, then dropping me to the floor and walking out of the room.

After that I sat on the floor, letting all her cruel words sink in.

Dan came up next to me, looking worried.

"Are you ok?" He asked, scooting close to me.

I nodded, lying.

He wrapped his arms around me, kindly, then nuzzled his face into my chest.

I felt hot tears burn in my eyes as he lay there, comfortingly.

He looked up at me, noticing the tears, now realizing I truly wasn't ok.

He wrapped his arms around me, his comforting gesture now feeling like a stab to the ribs.

I shook my head, wiping the tear and now standing up.

Dan looked up at me, still worried, "What are you doing?"

"I need to get away from everything. Can I have a few cigarettes? I'll be back, I'm just going for a walk."

He nodded, handing me a pack and a lighter.

I put them in my pocket, then walked out of his house.

I put his address in my phone, making sure I wouldn't forget it.

I walked to the park that Dan and I met at, and sat on one of the swings.

I grabbed a cigarette, then lit it.

I suddenly burst into tears, thinking of all the things Dan's mother said to me.

I puffed out more smoke from the cigarette, trying to stay strong.

After about half an hour, the tears stopped, and I walked back to Dan's house.

I walked into his house, then finding my way to Dan's room, avoiding his parents as much as possible.

I walked into Dan's room, to see him laying in his bed, a small silver object in his hand. From his room, you could faintly hear him crying into his bed.