Chapter Sixty

Kesha stood surrounded by bags and boxes in a huge empty room. Once upon a time Kesha might have called it her room. But not anymore. Now there was a new one waiting for her. One where she belonged.

It had been two weeks since the epic day in court where Kesha had strutted in and saved the day - at least in her mind that was what had happened.

Everything had been in such chaos due to Kesha's legendary appearance, that at first Diana had still been worried that Demi wasn't going to win. The DA could have easily argued that Kesha was simply being manipulated by Demi the whole time and only brought in by Demi when it didn't look like she was going to win.

Yet, after three whole days of waiting, they were all sat in court once again, when the sacred words were uttered.

"I pronounce Demetria Devonne Lovato as NOT GUILTY."

A scream went up in the court room. Demi's entire party were up on their feet, pulling each other into tight, tearful hugs. Kesha herself was lifted up high by Demi, who kissed her face over and over and over again. Neither of them could stop laughing.

"Quiet! Quiet in the court!" The judge called out. However, when they looked, everyone was sure they could see a hint of a smile on his face.

The judge read out the rest of his ruling and Demi could hardly believe her ears. Kesha's parents would get at least five years in prison, if not more once all the evidence against them had properly been colaited.

"Custody of Kesandra Leonna Hart-Cooper will go to..." The judge began, pausing to look at his notes.

Demi too the opportunity to look at Kesha, holding her closer and smiling. Very soon Kesha would be her baby girl and nobody would be able to hurt her again.

"Dianna de la Garza. Effective immediately."

It was over. The judge dismissed the court. People began getting up to go. But not Demi's party. That simply sat their in shock.

"What? I wanted custody!" Demi cried, looking panicked. "I thought I won!"

"How did this happen?" Dianna whispered to Eddie, her face pale. "Why me? I didn't ask for custody..."

"Because you, Dianna, were the named legal guardian by Kesandra's parents when she was born, in the event that something might happen to them" a calm voice answered.

Everyone looked up at the now friendly face of the judge. He looked very different from the poker-faced man who had been staring down at them every other time they had sat in that room.

"What? But I didn't even know!" Dianna said, looking at Kesha in wonder. Kesha was sitting in Demi's lap looking equally confused.

Dianna had been more connected to Kesha than either of them had ever realised. It was almost painful for Dianna to know how close Kesha had been to belonging to her all along.

She knew one thing for certain now: she should have done this sooner.

It was wrong of her not to have gone back for Kesha in the first place. Not to have made sure her little niece was alright.

None of this had been Demi's fault at all. It was Dianna's.

"I'm sorry, baby," Dianna said, turning to Kesha with tears in her eyes. "I should have come to get you a long time ago. I'm so sorry..."

Kesha looked at her aunt wearily but eventually smiled a very small smile. She stayed in Demi's arms but reached out and placed a hand on Diana's shoulder.

"It's alright," she whispered quietly. "It worked out anyway."

Demi looked at Kesha in shock. This was so different from the screaming young teen who Demi had come to know. A few months ago Kesha would have been screaming the house down over a realisation like this. She would certainly have crucified Dianna for it. But not anymore. Now she finally looked at peace.

She was going home.

"Kesha! You've got visitors!"

Kesha jumped up, taking one long last look around the room. She wouldn't need to come in again. Her belongings would be sent to her later. But the room itself would stay safely in the past. It wasn't part of her life anymore.

The sound of happy voices could be heard from downstairs. Kesha smiled happily, recognising them immediately. She rushed towards the stairs, eager to greet her guests.

Standing silhouetted in the doorway was a beautiful woman wearing black trousers and a casual white blouse with a black blazer. Samantha stood there looking exactly the same as she had that very first day Demi had arrived three months ago.

Except this time she was flanked by Ryan, Richard and Monica, with Jackie on one hip and baby Dylan tucked up in her other arm. All of Kesha's oldest friends. Her chosen family.

This time it wasn't Demi Samantha was talking to either. It was Dallas who stood in the corridor, a welcoming smile on her face.

"Samantha!" Kesha cried, flying downstairs. Samantha passed her siblings behind her to Monica before opening her arms up to Kesha.

"Hey babe," Samantha laughed, squeezing Kesha tightly. Kesha breathed in Samantha's smell, wanting to remember everything about her best friend and neighbour.

Then Samantha gently let Kesha go and took back her siblings to let Kesha hug Monica. Monica and Kesha stood opposite each other, taking each other for a moment before embracing tightly.

"I'm going to miss you, darling..." Monica whispered into Kesha's hair. "Keep that Demi inline for me, alright?"

"Okay," Kesha checked, trying not to cry.

"Where is Demi anyway?" Samantha asked, looking around.

"She's out," Dallas smiled wisely. "With Vicki."

Kesha caught Samantha's eye and grinned. As she looked around the room full of people, people she loved and who loved her, she saw that Demi had done. Demi had done what she'd always promised to do.

Demi Lovato had given Kesha Hart-Cooper a loving family. And it was never going away again.

•~•~•~•~•~•

I'm so sorry this update has taken such a long time. I know most of you have probably forgotten about this story, and have moved on from it. So this update is for all the future readers, who deserve closure. Stay tuned for the last few chapters of Hey There Baby Girl xxx