It's Nice to Have the Family Together

Marc's POV

I left out the room and saw my dad leaning on the wall, talking to someone on his phone. He saw me and ended the call then stuffed his cell phone into his pocket. He asked affably, "Hey, how's Troy?"

I shrugged, the guilt still prickling my skin, "Same as ever, I guess. Apparently, he doesn't really mind being in the hospital."

He chuckled, "I think that's a good thing. Why don't I just pop in and say 'hi' to my son's savior before we leave?"

"Go ahead," I urged him, mostly because I didn't want to leave just yet.

I stood close to the door while my dad popped his head in so I could hear Troy's voice again. Just to assure myself that he was still there. Watching Troy slip into unconsciousness was terrifying but what really broke my heart was seeing his worry for me in his eyes even while he was on the ground, bleeding. I honestly didn't want to spend a moment away from him but there was still the devil, also called school.

I listened curiously to the conversation between my dad and Richie and mused over the chances of them knowing each other. And then he said it.

"He's my ex-boyfriend."

I don't know how many phases of shock I went through within the next five seconds of silence but when a smart aleck comment from Troy brought me out of my reverie, I was furious.

"Wait a second," I struggled to keep my voice at a reasonable volume, "Dad, what does he mean 'ex-boyfriend'?"

He grinned coyly, "I never did get around to telling you that your old man is bi, did I?"

"So what happened?" One of Troy's sisters asked. It was the oldest. "Why did you guys break up?"

My dad avoided my gaze as Richie answered, "Well, six months into our relationship, I found out that a girl was three months pregnant with his child."

"Wait a second," I marched into the room and asked Richie, "Was the girl's name Marsha Greer?"

Realization dawned on Richie's face, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't said that."

"No, don't worry about it," I sighed and ran a hand through my hair to get my temper under wraps, "I just don't know who I feel worst for, you or my mom considering he wasn't even dating her when she got pregnant, it must have been hard for her." I glared at my poor excuse for a father. I never really had any resentment for him growing up but then again, I didn't realize how low his morals were. I felt disgusted by what he did to Richie. 

Richie pressed a hand to my shoulder and smiled gently. "Don't worry, Marc, I'm glad we broke up. Otherwise, I wouldn't have taken a job outside the state and met my husband and beautiful children."

"Husband?" my dad shamelessly asked.

Troy's dad stepped forward threateningly and growled, "Yes, husband."

My dad stepped away, mouthing, 'Oh, shit.'

"Yeah, I know," Troy grinned but not without obvious pride in his father, "He's huge and has a helluva left hook, consider yourself warned."

My dad nodded at Troy, "Thanks for the warning. It was nice seeing you again, Richie, I'm glad to see that you're doing well. Marc, meet me in the car once you're done saying bye. Get well soon, Troy."

I just scoffed and turned away while Troy waved, "See you, Mr. Andreas."

Once the epitome of humanities' loose morals disappeared, I glanced back at Richie then lowered my head. Although it wasn't my fault, I felt guilty. Not only had I cut my parents' years of worry free fun short but I broke this kind man's heart in the process. I apologized timidly, "I'm sorry for what happened between you and my dad."