8 - Zander

Katherine suggested going back to Zander. It really was their only option. He was more welcoming to them this time round. Maybe even pleased to see them. As soon as Zander had said ‘hello’, Katherine quickly recited everything that had happened and then starting sobbing. Taryn didn’t want to console her. Zander’s face drained of colour which Taryn knew was of course a bad sign.

 “We had something else to tell you, our crystals have power!” Taryn was disappointed when Zander didn’t react.

“I think you better come in, I’ll get you something to eat.”

Zanders house was much like Zander, it was dark and smoky inside; like someone had lit too many incense sticks. It was a little bit overwhelming. Every wall was covered in paintings and drawings in wicker frames. Taryn saw some paintings of Serenads and one of the sea monster and many other creatures and places she didn’t recognise.

Zander brought the girls some food, it looked a little like the food they knew from back home. It suddenly occurred to Katherine how much time had passed since their last meal, at least two days she thought.

“This is my own recipe,” Zander beamed “It’s a blend of ocean water, blue tree leafs and fruit from my garden. Do you like?” He was obviously proud of his concoction. Taryn was the first to pick up one of the little dumpling shapes and she bit into it quickly. The outside shell was like a popadom and crunched satisfyingly and was deliciously sweet and tangy, it reminded her of cookie dough and licking the spoon when making cakes with her grandma; from inside spewed a blue slush that Taryn struggled to stop spilling out of the shell.

“Drink it.” Zander cooed, miming putting a cup to his lips. Katherine decided to pick up one of the dumplings but she didn’t bite it yet, she watched Taryn. The blue slush smelt like freshly mown grass and green tea; it was a warm smell that made her want to snuggle up in a comfy bed with a large fluffy duvet. The bit of fruits that sloshed about in the slush were curious. Taryn found one and tested it in her mouth, it had a texture of stilton cheese; it broke easily and was soft however to her surprise it tasted like grapes! Taryn ravished her dumpling and begged to see the fruit in his garden. Katherine took a bite, then another, realising she loved the taste she savoured every bit. Meanwhile Zander showed Taryn his garden. It was very nice Taryn thought, it was a lot like her Gran’s vegetable patch back home. The fruit in the slush were called Pomums they were about the size of tangerines and had a purple peel.

            Katherine had no interest in gardens and now the food had been devoured she called to Taryn “Alan Titchmarsh, need I remind you we’re here for a reason?” Zander had been trying to avoid it but now he had to tell the girls who he really was.

“I am,” He began once they were sat back down. “a guardian. I have, in my time, been guardian to many different things; passages, portals, tombs. I watched over Cyba’s tomb, the one your parents trapped him in. Sadly he broke out, a month or two ago and his power has been growing ever since.” He looked at the girls “Your parents were fantastic people, I am sorry I failed them. Cyba is out, it was my duty to keep him in.”

“It’s alright Zander.” Taryn spoke softly “if you can help us, we can put things right.”

Zander looked hopefully at Taryn, she continued “Do you know how to use the crystals?”