3 - The Moment Where Everything Changes

Katherine had written down everything she remembered the ghost in her dream say. She handed it to Dean and Taryn and tried to explain to them.

 “I was taken from cold and dark,

Dragged away from death and devastation,

Pulled through hell which has left a mark,

You will come to me through the fire and ice,

I will count the hours,

If you want your loved ones to survive,

Do not forget my gems of power.”

“See, it says “you will come…!” And our “loved ones.”

But they dismissed her worries.

“You were probably still feeling guilty about dumping your food on my head.” Said Dean.

Katherine fumed. Not a chance!

“Sorry Dean, I can’t tonight.” Taryn couldn’t believe her luck.

Dean looked around “But you’re my only friend here! I won’t be allowed to go to the party alone!”

“Not true, what about Katherine.”

Dean gave Taryn a look. “Taryn! Really! She’ll probably shove cake in my face!”

“Well now is your chance to … bond!”

Dean and Katherine went off to the party straight after dinner. Taryn was pleased. But couldn’t help worrying, she wasn’t sure exactly how much bonding could happen at a 13 year olds party.

But she now had her chance, so she sneaked up to Dean's room and began rummaging through his belongings.

An hour and a half later and Dean's room looked like a battle ground. Then Taryn found some kind of answer. She held in her hand a crystal, a small pointed stone that looked like an emerald crossed with a rose quartz. When she held it she felt a sort of heart beat, when she stared at it she saw a pulsing glow – then she reached in her pocket and pulled out an orange crystal. She examined them closely they were identical except for the colour.

The party was a lot of fun. Dean and Katherine were getting along much better. Katherine had explained why she had used her dinner as a custard pie, mostly, she left out the ghost.

Taryn began to put the room back together but she stopped and examined the crystals again because she felt the ‘sort of heartbeat’ begin to beat faster.

Katherine and Dean walked up to the front door, Dean pressed the key into the lock.

Taryn gasped as the pulsing glow began to brighten. And she felt a breeze; indoors. The room began to spin like Taryn was standing in the middle of a whirlwind. She tried to put Dean's crystal back in his drawer and made her way to the door, but the crystals seemed to be attracted to each other like magnets. Taryn heard Dean and Katherine coming in downstairs, and didn’t know what to do. The drawers started to shake violently. Taryn wanted to scream but no sound came out. She just watched as the drawers bulged and shook. Then the crystal burst through the set of drawers shattering the wood into a million tiny splinters which spun around the room like a hurricane.

As they walked into the hallway Dean heard the drawers shatter and bolted up the stairs, Katherine in tow.

The crystal flew at Taryn; she took out hers’ and threw it in front of her. They met in mid air and fell to the ground. She grabbed them but the whirlwind didn’t stop – it blew more violently. Dean burst through the door. He looked at Taryn she was holding his crystal.

“What have you done!?”

Taryn was having none of it though. “This isn’t my fault!”

“What! You’re blaming me!” Dean couldn’t believe what she was saying.

“Yes! You said to me … you know … you said…” Taryn didn’t know if she should say it with Katherine present. Dean remembered what he had said anyway, on Taryn’s first day, he had gone into her room while she was asleep. He was sure he had known her from somewhere. And she had woken up with him there; he said to her “You know me don’t you.”

Taryn mumbled “Well, the stone, it explains it.” Dean snatched back his crystal.

“How, it was my Dad’s?” But then to Dean’s astonishment Taryn opened her other hand to show her crystal resting in her palm.

“Hang on a minute” Katherine gasped and ran off and quickly returned with a bag, she reached in and pulled out a pinkish-red crystal.

As if the crystals were magnets they all flew out of their owners hands and into the air, orbiting each other and slowly beams of light emerged, connecting them in a triangle. Katherine, Taryn and Dean stood under the floating crystals, trying to understand what had just happened. They were confused.

“So we all have these stones?”

“Yes.”

“And they are all the same?”

“No. They are different colours, but otherwise, yes.”

The room began to shift downwards. It wasn’t long before the trio realised that it wasn’t the room going down – but them going up. They disappeared into the triangle formed by the gems of power.

“Fire and ice, Good and Bad, Heroes and Villains,

All together at end of the sand, Good will fall,

For power is not strong enough,

But together with love is stronger,

The loss of a friend or of a foe,

My Hero will choose,

My Power will help,

My Kind-Heart will die.

He was taken with fire burning through his heart,

Dragged away through death and devastation,

Pulled through hell which has left a mark,

They will come to him through the fire and ice,

He will count the hours,

If they want they loved ones to survive,

They mustn’t forget his gems of power.”