Prologue

Death, there is no sound like it. The sound of a soul leaving a body: a life ending.

That's exactly why Dean couldn't sleep, he could hear it. He slowly steeled to his bedroom door and pulled it ajar slightly. He stared up the hall towards the living room. The 10 o'clock news theme was playing, everything would have been normal if it wasn't for the blue, blinding light streaming from every crack and dent in the doorway.

He opened crept towards the light. He was just at the living room door his hand on the cold wood; he opened the door a little and froze. Was he too late? He saw his fathers shadow in such a pose it was obvious he was in some danger. Dean burst through the door just to see his fathers limp body disappear with the ghostly figure. His father was gone, all Dean had was lost. He fell to his knees. A sharp pain shot through his right knee and he reached to see what it was. A small pointed stone that looked like an emerald crossed with a Rose quartz was the only way to describe it. When he held it he felt a heartbeat, when stared he saw a pulsing glow- was it alive?

*

The home of Katherine's family was peaceful but now Katherine had an essay on what her parents had done as teenagers and she had to ask her mum because her dad wasn't there anymore.

"But what did you do?"

"Nothing that would interest you."

"But you must have done something!"

"No now go and do whatever teenagers do!"

"Selfish, no good-" Katherine mumbled under her breath as she left when she heard her mum whisper;

"You wouldn't believe me even if I did tell you, but if you did how would you cope?"

At these words Katherine crept back to the door keeping in well in what there were of the shadows.

"The old team have gone and I'm next."

Then her mother broke down and she dropped a small shiny pointed stone but quickly grabbed it. Katherine wasn't sure if she should but she had no idea what her mum was on about.

"Old team, me, cope? Mum what are you talking about?"

Her mum looked terrified. "Get out of here now! It's time!"

Just then a ghostly figure with an electric blue glow materialised and Katherine scrambled under the dining room table. The ghost spoke with a growl of hatred.

"Long time no see."

Katherine's mum tried to stand tall but against the figure she was so small.

"What have you done Cyba? Did you kill them all?"

"Well," He growled fiercely "It's your turn to find out."

He grabbed her by the neck and vanished.