Chapter 5

Chapter 5

            “Jesus, Mom! Are you trying to murder me?” I asked, spinning out of her grasp. She was tying the bow on the back of the dress she picked out for my date-which I hated-like I was a size double zero. Well, I can assure you that I am far from it. I’d be lucky if I could squeeze into a size four.

            “Oh shut up,” she chastised, pulling me near her once again, “it’s not like I’m cutting off your airways.”

            I gave her a dry look. “Well, it sure did feel like it.”

            She rolled her eyes, spinning her finger, indicating that I turn back around. Cautiously, I did. “Is this better?” She tied it looser, but it still felt uncomfortable.

            “Yeah, I guess.” I sighed, running a hand through my red hair. It was starting to get a little washed out, it was almost time to redye it.

            “Why do you keep sighing?” My mother asked, turning me around so she could get a good look at me.

            I shrugged. “I guess I’m just nervous…”

            “Don’t be,” she began, “you’re a beautiful girl. He won’t be able to keep his hands off of you.”

            “Mom-”

            She winked. “Do I need to have the sex talk with you?”

            “Oh my god! No!” I cried, burying my face into my hair. She always had to take it one step too far. Guess that’s where I got it from.

            “I was just kidding!” My mother cackled. “I know you won’t do anything stupid. You were raised by the best.” She joked, spanking me on the butt. “So, what shoes are you going to wear with this?” She questioned, pointing towards the dress I was wearing.

            “Um…” I looked around my room, I honestly had no clue. Finally, my eyes landed on something and I had a burst of inspiration. “These!” I held up a pair of blush colored pumps that matched the floral dress perfectly.

            “That works.” She said, not pleased. “I was thinking your cowboy boots though.”

            “Hell no!” I responded. “You know I hate those shoes.”

            She rolled her eyes. “But why, you know we do live inTexas, most other girls would love to have those boots. They’re nearly 300 dollars!”

            “You know I’m not a cowgirl.” I huffed.

            She was about to respond until we both heard a knock on the front door. Her face instantly perked up. “It must be Tomas!” She continued to scramble up from my bed and run down the stairs, opening the door in record time.

            Oh shit. He’s here.

            Sighing, I sat on the edge of my bed. This was my first date in a long time, since my ex boyfriend Jarrod, to be exact. It has almost been two years. How were things going to go? Was he going to be weird? Pushy? Perverted? An asshole? I had no idea. Thanks to my mom, I had never even met the poor fellow taking me out on this date before.

            I laid back on my bed, knowing I was going to get hell for messing up my hair when I got downstairs. I didn’t care though, not at the moment. At the moment I was trying to keep myself from turning into a nervous wreck.

            Breathe in. Breathe out.

            Breathe in. Breathe-

            “JAMISON!” My mother yelled up the stairs. “GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!”

            Rolling my eyes, I sat up. Real classy, mom. I itched the back of my head and pulled on my heels, feeling just a little bit better. I reminded myself that if this guy was a serial killer, my mom most likely wouldn’t have set me up on a date with him.

            With that thought in my head I went downstairs, slowly, trying to reenact the “She’s All That” scene, minus the falling. Hopefully I looked presentable enough that I would woe him with my slow entrance. Probably not, but it was worth the try.

            Of course I stumbled, the shoes I was wearing were pretty high and I was rather nervous. But instead of anyone catching me, I fell right on my ass, right in front of the man in question.

            “Way to make an entrance.” My mother snorted, putting her hands under my armpits to lift me up.

            “Snorting is for crack whores.” I replied, recalling what Sarah had said to me only last night. Was it really only last night? It felt like a month ago that I met Hunter.

            Hunter was hot.

            Shaking my head, I pushed all Hunter thoughts to the back of my brain and shook Tomas’ hand, not meeting his eyes. “Um…hi.”

            “Hello, Jamison. Your mother has told me so much about you.”

            “It’s Jamie!” I snapped, couldn’t anyone just call me by my nickname?

            My mom hit me upside the head. “Be nice.” She whispered low enough so that Tomas couldn’t hear.

            “Sorry,” Tomas replied, a little taken aback. I glanced up at him.

            Oh lordie, he was adorable.

            Tomas had pale green eyes, dark blonde hair, and the cutest nose. When he saw me inspecting him, his mouth formed a smile to show off way too white teeth. Geez, did this kid really need to use that many teeth whitening strips? I guess it didn’t matter though, he was still really hot. When he kept his mouth shut, that is.

            “I-uh….it’s okay.” I stammered, imitated by his cuteness, just like last night when I was with Hunter. Cute boys were my weakness, sue me.

            He smiled. “You look lovely.”

            “Um…thanks.” I mumbled, messing with the neckline of my dress.

            “Excuse my daughter, she’s socially awkward.” My mother chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. I sent her a glare.

            Tomas grinned. “We all have our fair share of awkwardness.”

            I blushed slightly, but said nothing.

            “So, Jamie,” he put emphasis on my name, “are you ready for our date?”

            “Yeah,” I smiled up at him, already starting to get over my reserve. I gave out my arm and he encircled his around it, pulling me a little closer. This time, I didn’t blush.

            But I did hear my mother swoon.

            “Bye mom!” I waved at the same time Tomas said, “Bye Ms. Durst!”

            My mom smiled. “Have fun you too! Be back by eleven!”

            “Okay mom!” I yelled, already near his car. He drove a Cadillac Escalade. Nice.

            “Oh, and Jamie?”

            I turned around questioningly. “Yes?”

            “Don’t get pregnant!”

            Beside me, I heard Tomas chuckle.