Chapter: 3

6 months later.... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The call came into the office early in the morning, Gibbs was speechless, he didn't want it to be true. As he walked into the bullpen he saw Tony making stupid, yet funny faces at McGee. For a moment he stood there watching Tony and McGee bickering, he momentarily forgot the dreadful news, that was until Tony and McGee turned around and looked at him.

"Boss?" McGee said to him "You alright?"

"I'm fine McGee" Gibbs paused "Gear up, body of an ex-NCIS Special Agent has been found near Quantico" Gibbs walked over to his desk and picked up his badge and sig-saucer out of his draw.

Tony and McGee nodded in response and grabbed their gear, handguns and badges,

"I'll drive" Tony said as he ran to the elevator and met up with McGee and Gibbs

"Boss, why are we investigating an ex-NCIS Special Agent" McGee wondered "Who is it?"

Gibbs didn't answer, the rest of the elevator ride was silent. Once they stepped out of the elevator and into the basement, McGee and Tony got into the response truck while Gibbs got into his 2006 Dodge Charger, they pulled out of the building and raced down the road to the outskirts of Quantico.

Ducky following behind them in another response van with Palmer in the passenger seat, they argued about what radio station should be on, but once they arrived at the crime scene their joyful mood went away, because as soon as they stepped out of the van the atmosphere was tense, they walked to where Gibbs and the team were standing in silence looking down, suddenly Tony fell to the ground crying, his loud sobs and pleas of 'no this can't be happening', made Palmer and Ducky speed up their pace.

"Don't touch her Tony" Gibbs said solemnly. Gibbs need not to say more, because seconds later Ducky and Palmer arrived next to them.

"My God" Ducky said taking a sharp intake of breath "Who could do this to her"

There in front of them was a pale body, a lifeless body of someone whom they know, a body with cuts and bruises. The body of a familiar Ex-Special Agent...

"Ziva" Palmer barely whispered, looking down at the Israeli.

"Ex-Special Agent Ziva David's body was found here in the early hours of the morning" Gibbs paused, remembering the conversation on the phone only hours before "Marines were passing by when they heard gun shots and shouting, they immediately ran over and found her, they recognised her and rang me"

McGee and Tony then realised that this was the reason Gibbs wasn't his normal self this morning, the reason why there was no head slapping for Tony, it was because he didn't want the news to be true.

"Well let's get going" Ducky said "The quicker we are, the quicker this horrific business is over"

The team slowly got back together, and started examining the crime scene. McGee had already checked the fingerprint scanner, but they all knew who it was. Ducky and Palmer started placing her body in the bag when Ducky found something not right,

"Gibbs" he called out "You said they heard gun shots?"

Gibbs nodded

"Well Ziva doesn't have any gun shots to her" Ducky explained,

"Found something Boss" McGee shouted before Gibbs could answer Ducky

Gibbs walked over to where McGee was standing and found Ziva's handgun laying in the grass.

"This still doesn't explain why Ziva doesn't have gunshot wounds" Gibbs said "But it explains why they heard gun shots"

They finished examining the crime scene and then they headed back to the headquarters in DC. The ride back for Tony and McGee was quiet, McGee was driving due to Tony not being able to concentrate, while Gibbs drove back slowly, thinking about Ziva, and what she might have gotten herself involved in that would have caused her unnatural departure.

McGee and Tony were the first to arrive back at the office, they imminently went to Abby,

"You do it Tim" Tony said

"Why does it have to be me, can't it be you?" McGee replied

"Probie she is your girlfriend, you have to be the one to break it to her" Tony answered

McGee nodded and walked in, Tony on his heels.

"Abby" McGee said quietly after he switched the loud rock music off,

Abby's smiling face soon disappeared once she saw the sorrowful, tear stained faces of McGee and Tony.

"What's happened" she asked

"I'm so sorry Abby" McGee said

"What happened" she repeated

"Ziva, her body was found this morning" McGee answered, and then ran to her hugging the crying body

"Why, how?" She sniffled

"That what we need to find out" McGee whispered her the ear.

Tony left the couple and walked to his desk and he sat there, his face in his hands, he then opened up his draw and found the picture he took of Ziva when they were undercover in Paris onetime. He stroked her face while tears fell down his face,

"Dinozzo men don't cry" he whispered to the picture "But for you it's an exception"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile downstairs in autopsy Palmer was carefully unloading the body bag onto the table, Ducky was preparing to find out why she has passed.

Palmer laid the body on the table and started to unzip the bag when he jumped backwards and crashed into Ducky,

"Jimmy what are you doing?" Ducky said

"She moved" Palmer answered quickly

"Stop being stupid Jimmy, she can't move" Ducky said looking at the body bag "Well I take that back" Ducky said surprised as he saw the body in the body bag move.

Slowly they unzipped the black bag and saw that the pale face of the Israeli was no longer there, in its place was a tanned lively face, a face that only should be on the living, and a face that they should no longer see in this world.

Palmer and Ducky looked at each other in shock, and then suddenly her eyes opened.