Chapter Ten

Azalia woke in warmth, surrounded by soft covers. She streached out her legs and winced at the throbbing pain in her head. She remembered passing out in Mercer's arms, and upon looking around, she realised she was in Riftweald Manor. She sat up, noticing the bottle of healing potion at her bedside and a note. She downed the bottle with zest and picked up the thin piece of parchment, scrawled upon in fine writing.

Remember you have to meet Maven this morning.
I hope you feel better.
- Mercer

She fixed herself in the nearest mirror and brushed herself down, smoothing the warward strands of her hair with her fingers.

"Let's get it together, Azalia."

She inhaled a deep breath and left the room, knowing Mercer wasn't even in the house. She left the Manor and headed to the Bee and Barb. As soon as she entered Talen-Jei pointed upstairs and Azalia nodded, ascending the wooden steps. She rounded the corner and saw Maven standing near a desk. She looked Azalia up and down disapprovingly.

"So you're the one that I'm hearing so much about," Maven said, looking down her nose at Azalia, "You don't look like much. However, you've retrieved what I asked for."

"Is there anything else I can do for you Maven?" Azalia asked, a hint of sarcasm in her voice which Maven ignored.

"Yes actually," Maven rolled her eyes, "I'd like you to deliver this pendant to Markarth for me. I have a client there that is interested."

"I'm a thief," Azalia exclaimed, crossing her arms, "Not a courier."

"I do not care," Maven raised a brow, "I own your pathetic Guild, if I need you to deliver something for me you will do it. Understood?"

Azalia didn't reply, just held her hand out for Maven to give her the pendant. She closed her fingers around the metal, feeling that farmiliar power dormant inside of her.

"You will go to the Silver-Blood Inn and speak with the barman Kleppr. Tell him you are here to deliver a package and he will tell you where my client is waiting. You are due in Markarth in two days time. Have you got that?"

"Loud and clear, ma'am."

Azalia studied the pendant as she descended the steps. She felt the same attraction to it as she had before but it was far less intense. She tucked it into her sachel and hurried out of the Bee and Barb. She descended the wooden steps and took the Ratway entrance, the lowlives inside barely glancing her direction while she wore her Thieves Guild armour. Upon entering the Ragged Flagon, Azalia greeted her fellow Guildmembers and waved to Delvin who looked barely alive in his usual chair.

"How do you feel?" Azalia asked with a laugh, patting Delvin on the shoulder.

"I feel like I was ate and shat back out by a horker," He replied grimly, taking a long swig of the tankard of water that sat infront of him.

"I'm not feeling too great, but a healing potion made it a lot more bearable," Azalia said, leaving Delvin by himself. She entered the Cistern, which was mainly empty as most of the thieves were out making coin.

"I have to be in Markarth in two days to deliver the pendant to one of Maven's prospective clients. I'll know where to bring it when I talk to the barman in the Inn," Azalia informed Mercer as she stalked towards his desk, "Apparently thieves are now couriers."

"Yes," Mercer said with a sigh, "We are whatever Maven wishes us to be."

"Thank you for.. helping me last night," Azalia said more sincerely, avoiding Mercer's peircing gaze, "I doubt it was a pretty sight to see."

"You surely told Maramal off," Mercer let out a small laugh, a sound so rarely heard around the Guild, "I doubt he will preach in the taverns for awhile."

"Oh, yes," Azalia cringed. She recalled the memory and laughed, despite how it hurt her heart to think about why she felt that way. The ghost of a smile crossed Mercer's lips at the beautiful sound, "I might have to lay off the brandy for a bit."

"I have been meaning to give you this," He said suddenly, pulling out a piece of cloth. He unwrapped it hand held it out to Azalia. On the cloth lay an ornate gold neclace, decorated in sapphires, "A gift for all the work you have done for the Guild. It is enchanted to help the wearer while sneaking, you'll be practically invisible."

"It's a beautiful gesture, Mercer but I can't accept anything from you," Azalia said, closing the hand that held out the necklace to her. She felt guilty for turning down his gesture and in turn, his affection. She could not help the way her heart worked, "I am just one of your Guild, nothing more and nothing less. I don't deserve jewels."

"I will not ask anything of you, Azalia," He said, his fist closing around the necklace so hard his knuckles turned white, "But you deserve the world and all of the wealth it can give you. I will give you everything you deserve and more. I will not reject you."

"I don't need gold or jewels or even all of the coin in the world to be happy, Mercer," She replied, her heart thundering in her chest, "I'm sorry but I can't. Not now."

She turned and left Mercer standing alone at his desk. She quickly packed her things and grabbed her weapons before climbing the ladder out of the Cistern. Her head and her heart were both muddled with thoughts and feelings she could not comprehend. She could hardly breathe as she stumbled from the graveyard, sliding her back down against a wall. She let her had fall into her hands.

"Azalia?" She heard him, the Nord that broke her heart to pieces. She didn't know just how badly she had fallen for him until he rejected her, out in the cold night air. Azalia looked up, her weak heart called for him, for that same feeling she felt when she was wrapped in his strong arms.

"Please, Brynjolf," She begged, standing up from the ground, "Not now."

"I heard you and Mercer, lass," He said, holding up his hands in surrender, "I just want to talk to you."

"We made a mistake that night, Bryn," She replied, standing herself up straight, "We were both lonely and it meant nothing. I already know that, so go back to your merchants wife."

"That's not what I want to say!" He exclaimed, taking a step towards Azalia, "Let me come with you to Markarth."

"Is that what you wanted to say?" She looked up at him in disbelief, a dark laugh escaping her lips, "Is that it?"

"No.. That's not it!" He shook his head, taking another step towards Azalia until her back was pressed against the wall.

"I got caught up in the way you made me feel, Brynjolf," Azalia said softly, bowing her head. She couldn't look him in the eye, "No man has ever got under my skin like you did. I should never have let that happen. I told myself walking into that tavern, that if you were up there with her, you didn't feel for me the way that I felt for you. I'm letting you go, Bryn."

Brynjolf opened his mouth to speak, and suddenly all of the words he had wanted to say got stuck in his throat. He could only stare at Azalia as the hurt on her face only grew. She slid out from the wall, walking away towards the gates of Riften.

"Lass.. I.."

"I'll see you when I'm back," She said, not bothering to look back, "Until next time, Brynjolf."

He cursed himself as she retreated into the distance.

~•~

It's kinda weird that it's only chapter 10 lol
Brynjolf just can't seem to get the words out, poor boi

What do you think Maven is doing sending Azalia all the way out to Markarth?