Chapter Seven

Brynjolf led the way back through the Embassy. She followed him through the corridors and past the guards that seemed to be lurking around each corner. Azalia was distracted with the pendant. She couldn't seem to understand why she was so drawn to it and it was clear that Brynjolf was indifferent about the object.

"Find them!" A loud authoritative voice boomed from close to Brynjolf and Azalia.

"We need to move faster, Azalia. It looks like Lucan woke up," Brynjolf whispered, slipping into the closest room. He stood up and moved to the window, pulling it open. The cold air hit them both and Brynjolf threw his leg through the window.

"Aim for the wall, we need to get outside," Brynjolf ordered and Azalia nodded.

Brynjolf jumped from the window to the outside wall that surrounded the Embassy with relative ease and Azalia copied his movements, stepping up onto the sill.

"They're here!" She heard from directly behind her. Azalia's heart thudded harshly in her chest. She gripped the side of the open window and glaced back at the Thalmor soldiers clad in their elven armours.

Azalia jumped her feet landing on the snow capped wall. She lost her balance momentarily, and slipped off the wall, crashing to the snowy ground beneath her. She cried out on impact and felt the arms of Brynjolf pulling her to her feet.
"Keep moving, Azalia!"

She ignored the pain that shot through her side and laboured forward into the darkening forest. She could hear the shouts and the advancing footfalls of the soldiers as they chased her through the trees.

"Bryn!" Azalia called to the thief that sprinted infront of her, "We can't outrun them!"

She knew that they were on their heels, and Azalia had no idea where they were even running to. She could hardly see straight infront of her. The snow pelted down and the the air chilled Azalia to the bone in her thin gown. She grasped the two daggers that she had strapped to her legs and planted her feet on the ground.

"Halt!" A soldier yelled, "Halt in the name of the Thalmor!"

Azalia took a defensive stance.

"Azalia!" Brynjolf yelled, "Move! We're going to die if we stand here. We're thieves, we don't fight battles."

"Keep going, Bryn," Azalia said, quieter, "I'll hold them off."

"For the love of the Gods, Azalia!" Brynjolf cursed, grasping his own daggers in his hands. He looked out at the approaching guards, half a dozen at least.

Two approaced from either side first, and Azalia lunged at the closest one to her. She used the low visability to tackle him to the ground and slice into his neck with her dagger. He cried out and Azalia jumped back to take on the next. She looked over to Brynjolf who was defending himself against the onslaught of two soldiers and another three were closing in on Azalia.

Panic and anger coursed through her body and she held her daggers defensively against the three Thalmor that approaced her. A burning sensation ran over Azalia's skin and she felt an anger unlike any other grow inside of her. She whipped her head to the side when she heard Brynjolf cry out, his back on the ground and a Thalmor soldier moving in for execution.

"No!" Azalia screamed, jumping to stand over Brynjolf, who was trying to scramble to his feet. The burning inside of Azalia only grew, and the air around her grew brighter.

She fell to her knees when an arrow embedded itself in her left thigh.
"Get back!" She cried, pulling herself to her feet.

"Azalia.." Brynjolf whispered almost inaudibly as he looked up at her. She ignored him as the burning inside of her grew to its epitome and the world around her glowed with white light.