Chapter Thirty Five

"They must be out" Eli stooped to get the key from the flower pot next to the door. It was weird going into the house when it was empty. He was glad that Cameron was there. He wouldn't have wanted to come in alone. He wasn't completely settled; that rogue had gotten into the house without even breaking anything after all. "I'll get you some of Noah's clothes." He was halfway up the stairs when he noticed Cameron hesitating in the entrance. He was rubbing at the muck on his shirt.

"I'm already getting the place wet" Eli said, "We'll clean it up after."

Cameron let out a sigh, but followed him. "I'm not in their good books anymore."

"I don't know if you ever were."

"Jenny liked me" Cameron grumbled, "And so did your dad."

"I think Noah's the one who's come around most." Eli randomly picked out clothes, "I'm taking a shower in the en suite."

Eli enjoyed the heat, but couldn't help thinking he may have spoiled the evening a little. Cameron had paid for the tickets, and they'd only gone to one of the options. He didn't mind being at the house though. If it was just the two of them he wouldn't have to worry about keeping his voice down, or avoiding certain topics. The longer he stood under the water, the further his mind went down the gutter in thinking about the advantages of being alone in the house.

"He's injured." Eli grumbled to himself under the stream of heat, "Leave him alone."

He was crossing the landing when he spotted Cameron sweeping at the bottom of the steps. Eli tossed his towel into the basket in his room and came down to help him.

"Already finished." Cameron put the broom back in his spot by the time he came down. "I have dinner ready."

"I was hardly fifteen minutes in the shower." Eli followed him into the kitchen. He let out a small breath of amusement when he saw the clear plastic container. "Sinclair didn't say a word." He opened it up and immediately dug in to the cake. Cameron sat next to him and rested his head on Eli's shoulder. Eli offered him a spoon, at which Cameron growled until he took it away. "Tired?"

"I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since we left Alison's house." Cameron admitted.

Eli finished the rest of his cake, and stood up. Cameron looked put out at having lost his resting spot. "Movie." He made Cameron lie down and heaped all the throw blankets over him. "What do you feel like? It's Halloween, so we should put on something scary."

"I don't think scary is your strong point." Cameron said.

"Netflix can pick something then." Eli sped through the horror section and picked the first one that looked decent. He plopped down into the chair and dimmed the light on the coffee table.

"Hey" Cameron lifted the covers and pat the spot next to him.

Eli didn't object, and happily snuggled up next to him. Cameron tucked the covers around Eli, and then rested an arm around his waist. His breaths caressed the back of Eli's neck, and he reminded himself again that Cameron was tired.

"The movie's about a haunted cabin" Eli pressed play. "A couple goes there for their honeymoon and then bad stuff starts to happen." He waited until the actual thing started to adjust the volume. "Is that too loud?"

Cameron didn't answer.

Eli turned his head and saw that his eyes were closed. His chest rose slowly, and he breathed out peacefully. Eli muted the movie. He pulled the covers under his chin, and then closed his eyes as well.