Chapter Seven

"This better not get back to my dad" Eli warned Sinclair, they'd been driving for almost an hour now, and the area was getting more and more packed with buildings, looking like a city rather than a town.

"Trust me, nobody at this party will be saying anything to your dad"

"Uh huh" Eli wasn't convinced about this whole thing, "You never did tell me why the others aren't here."

Sinclair shifted uncomfortably behind the wheel. "It's a bit... rougher than the places they're used to."

"Rougher?" Eli repeated, "Why is it rougher? There's drugs isn't there. Sinclair please tell me we're not on our way to a drug party"

"It's not a drug party" Sinclair pulled into a residential area, "But I'm not going to lie, there will be drugs present."

"Why do you want to go then?" Eli groaned.

"There's someone I have my eye on"

Eli stared at her, waiting for her to continue. She didn't. "He sounds terrible"

"I haven't said anything about him yet"

"He's a druggie"

"His friends are into that kind of thing. And his brother." Sinclair explained slowly, "But he hasn't touched any of it. He's just... there for them. He'll always have their back."

Eli shut his eyes and sank even further into the car seat. "This isn't going to end well."

"We'll be fine." Sinclair insisted. "I just didn't want to come alone."

Eli fought down his annoyance. "It would have been stupid to come alone. And dangerous."

"I know" Sinclair pulled up next to a house. There was music blaring, and people spilling out of the doorway. Eli could feel the vibration of the bass from the car. He doubted there would be people sleeping at this party.

"how long are we staying?" Eli asked.

"Midnight."

Eli checked the time. That meant they would only be there for two hours. He could survive two hours.

"so..." Sinclair drummed her fingers on the steering wheel. "I have a plan"

Eli narrowed his eyes. "A plan?"

"Kal is very protective, and he looks out for his friends. I know that he won't go for someone who just flirts with him, he needs to be interested. And I figure if he sees me looking out for someone the same way he does it'll make a good impression."

"I am not drinking, or getting drunk at a party where-"

"You don't need to be wasted" Sinclair interrupted, "just look like you are. Plus, we're only here for two hours so you won't have enough time to get drunk anyway."

Eli gnawed on his lip as he stared out the windscreen. If she'd told him all this before they left he would have said no. "You owe me." He thought of the job he'd be starting tomorrow. He needed that.

"Thank you" Sinclair gushed, then reached into the back of the car and pulled out a half empty bottle of vodka. "be drinking this as we go in."

Eli crinkled his nose. "I'll pretend to be drunk."

"You'll convince nobody if you don't even have a drink in your hands." Sinclair lowered her voice as they trotted up the final steps to the house.

Eli cast a glance over the crowd at the door. They showed no interest in either of them, and Sinclair led them inside. Eli tightened his grip on the vodka and followed after her. Sinclair immediately shot him a glance, mouthing the words 'drink it'. Eli had no idea whether 'Kal' was one of the dozens of people in the room or not. He unscrewed the lid, and took a swig.