eight: broken harp

8 months later

8 months later

Today was the day of Iris's graduation. After 2 years of her accountancy course, the day had finally come where she would become a certified accountant and take her official role in the Peaky Blinders. Of course, she already had a role, but not one of any legality.

Iris examined herself in the full length mirror. Her blonde hair was pinned up into a messy blonde bun, she wore a pink blouse with floral stitching on the collar with a white shin-length skirt and heels to match. She had to admit, she did look good. Thomas walked into their bedroom then, nodding approvingly.

"You," he began, placing his hands on her hips and pressing his body against her own, "Look fucking stunning."

Iris batted him away playfully

Iris batted him away playfully. "You'll crease my skirt."

Tommy chuckled and smacked her bottom before sitting on their bed. "You nervous?"

"No." She said simply as she adjusted an unruly lock of hair.

"Good." Thomas replied with a nod.

The pair had moved in together not long after Samuel Salt's death; making what was once the Salt family home an extension to the betting den and offices for the Blinders. None of the Salts objected, much less Fleur. She had an excuse to never return to a home filled with broken and painful memories. She had set herself up in a flat near Aston, much to Iris's satisfaction. It was a relief to not see her insufferable mother every day. The rest of the family stayed close, with Martha, John and baby Katie living on the other side of Small Heath; Polly, Finn, Michael and Anna living just 2 roads away and Arthur still on Watery Lane, just like Tommy and Iris. Despite him living just a few houses down, they never saw Arthur anymore. As soon as they announced their relationship to the family, he just cut Iris and Tommy out of his life. He avoided family meetings when they attended, and never went on the take with Thomas.

The pair of them had become 'official' a few months back, but the love they had for each other was obvious before the label. All it did was keep judgey neighbors from sticking their pointy noses where they didn't belong.