CHAPTER 09 - EARTH ANGEL

CHAPTER 09 – EARTH ANGEL

The next morning Pansy waited at the train station as the people began to disembark the train and made their way across the platform to their various destinations. Pansy waited eagerly, scanning the crowd for Louise Alexander. 

Pansy’s sister had become involved with a man who was in the military and had a very promising career. Years later they had their only child Louise.  With some wise investments that her father had made and the passing of both of her parents, Louise, had been left very well off.  She had used her fortune to help those in need.

Finally as the crowd began to clear, Pansy spotted Louise standing in a flowing green dress that accented her long golden blond hair.

After a quick embrace, Pansy took a step back to look Louise over from head to toe. “My, my, my. I’m quite surprised that some young man has not tried to snatch you up yet.”

Blushing slightly, Lou smiled, “Well it isn’t like they haven’t tried, Aunt Pansy.  I just have not found the right man yet I guess. Besides, since the passing of Mama and Daddy, I just haven’t had time for men.”

“Well, I know you will just love it here.  I just wish it could be under better circumstances,” Pansy said as a slight desperation crept into her voice.

“What exactly is going on?  The telegram that I got from Lewis didn’t say very much,” Lou inquired.

“Well, honey, sometimes things are best said in person rather than by correspondence,” Pansy replied in a hushed voice.

Lou stared at Pansy.  She didn’t know exactly what was going on but she knew it was not good . The trip to the mansion was beautiful.  Entering Silver Creek Estate, Lou sighed at the natural beauty.

Finally, as they approached the steps leading up the front porch, Lou saw Hattie, Laville and Minerva waiting to greet her.  From that exact moment she had a feeling that her life would never again be the same.  Lou strongly believed that there are some moments in people’s lives when a certain chapter ends and another begins.. Walking up the steps, she took Hattie’s hand and gently embraced her. 

Hattie returned the embrace and felt too that this was one of those life changing moments. Standing back, she looked at Lou and thought to herself.  “Well, well, if looks like Laville may have a run for her money when it comes to looks.  Lou is absolutely gorgeous.”

Stepping forward and hugging Lou, Minerva was the first to speak, “Well Louise, how was your trip?”

“Please call me Lou, Mrs. Morran.”

“Well I will, as long as you call me ether Minerva or Mother Morran.”

“Yes, Mother Morran.” Lou responded as she turned her attention back to Hattie.

“And you, I understand, are Miss Hattie.  I knew that from the letters I received from Lewis, who spoke so highly of you.  I can see why he regards you as an Earth Angel.”

Hattie smiled.  She had always been so close to Lewis and had known that the love between them was only that of sole mates could have. The kind of love the poets have spoken about through the ages.  That’s why she dreaded being separated from Lewis for six long months.  

“I have to tell you your cousin means very much to me.  I just am truly sorry that things have come to this.” Hattie said, lost in her thoughts.

At that moment Lewis appeared at the doorway.  Making their way inside, they came into the parlor.  It was time for Lou to learn why she had come.