Chapter 2 Cutting Ties

As the beautiful, young Hattie Morran stood awaiting her mockery of a wedding, the sound of heavenly music drifted up from the ground below like feathers on a breezy day.  The orchestra Rebecca had hired for the ceremony was among the best in the country, and Hattie found herself lost in the rhythmic melodies.  The sounds soothed her soul, and she was grateful they took her mind off, if even momentarily, the fateful night that she and Rebecca had confronted, face to face, the evil that was Jess and Abner.

 The plan that Rebecca had formulated was risky, but knowing her kin as she did, she knew she had to come at them with guns blazing.  First, she had James Kinnion, Judge Stepp, and Sheriff Sanders arrive about an hour before the proposed arrival time of Jess and Abner who were out pricing new plots of land in nearby Grundy County.  The second part of the plan was to have the three men wait behind some elegant ornamental screens in Rebecca’s study until she called them out.  Lastly, Rebecca would unveil the secret she had been hiding from Jess and Abner that would force them to sign the papers James had drawn up, disinheriting the two of them from her estate.  With such respectable and influential men like Judge Stepp and Sheriff Sanders assisting James as backups and witnesses, Rebecca was confident that her plan would work.

***

“Okay, this is it.”  Rebecca said, turning from the window to face those present.  “I see them coming down the main road.”  Calmly, she looked around the kitchen table.  “Now, everyone remember what we’ve discussed.  James, you, the Sheriff, and Judge Stepp, stay behind the screens in my study and don’t come out until I call you.  Hattie, you sit behind the desk and remember to back me up like we discussed.”  Looking very determined, she questioned, “Do all of you understand?”

Judge Stepp, the Daviess county judge and one of Gallatin’s most upstanding citizens, was still unsure of what Rebecca planned to do to get Jess and Abner to agree to her terms.  Looking her straight in the eyes, he said, “I sure hope you know what you’re doing, Rebecca.  The Sheriff and I know firsthand what kind of tempers those two have, and I, for one, don’t want to see things get out of control.”

Taking a deep breath, her voice was strong as she tried to calm his fears.  “Just follow my directions, do what I say, and I promise everything will go smoothly.  Now, go and wait in my study.  I will be there directly with Jess and Abner.”

Still somewhat unsure, Hattie and the three gentlemen rose to their feet and walked out of the kitchen.  The path to Rebecca’s study, which was on the opposite side of the mansion, took them straight through the massive interior of the house.  As Hattie walked, she marveled at the immensity and beauty of the surroundings that made up her new home.  Even though she had visited the mansion often when she was younger, she never ceased to be amazed by it.  Every inch of the Silver Creek mansion, even the hallways, displayed the finest architecture of the time and was decorated in the most exquisite décor available.  From sparkling crystal chandeliers, to paintings of the romantic era, to grand contemporary sculptures, to gorgeous hanging tapestries, this was, by far, one of the most elegant homes, inside and out, west of the Mississippi.  Hattie felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland, completely in awe of her surroundings. 

It had only been one week since Rebecca had decided to make Hattie the sole heir to her fortune, and she had already moved into the mansion as Rebecca had suggested, with the rest of the family to follow as soon as Jess and Abner were out of the picture.  Yet, as she reached the doors to the study, she still had a hard time believing that in two short months, everything that her eyes were feasting on would be hers. 

Back in the kitchen, Jess and Abner entered the house with an air of confidence surrounding them, priding themselves on buying a quarter section of land just outside of Trenton.  Seeing Rebecca standing with her arms folded, Jess spoke first.  “Well, Rebecca, you’ll be happy to know that your boys bought some of the best farmland in Grundy County, for a steal I might add.”