Chapter II: I Can't Imagine Life Without You

Why? What does she mean by why? Always playing the fucking victim. Not surprised at all.

"Ava please." I chuckled. "Do not embarrass yourself." I sipped on my Caramel Brulée Frappuccino as I starred into her tearful eyes. It is much too late for tears sweetheart.

"Where do I sign?" I asked my lawyer ignoring Ava's sniffles and heart-piercing stare.

Ten Years Ago

"Ava, you know damn well you should not be lifting anything while you are pregnant." I rolled my eyes at the sight of my very pregnant wife arguing with one of the movers about the boxes on the U-Haul truck.

"I know, love but I am bored", she whined. Six months ago we were blessed with the news that Ava was with child. The announcement was shocking and not planned. All in all, I was eager to become a father. "You do not let me do anything!" she continued. "Every since I peed on that damn stick you won't allow me to lift a finger." Ava pouted and stomped into our new house as I followed. Before pregnancy, Ava was the nicest woman on this planet, soft-spoken and so sweet. She took a complete 360 during this pregnancy with Jayla. One time I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and she was sitting up in the bed just staring at me, angrily and possessively. She uttered how this was all my fault and what did she do so bad to deserve this. I sleep with a bible and one eye open every night since that day.

"I mean, what kind of husband would I be if I did not make sure my babies were good, huh?" I stood behind her and wrapped my arms around her torso, placing my hands on her belly. I kissed her cheek. "And I hired movers for a reason. Let's just enjoy this day. Look around this place. This is our house. Our home. We are going to raise our children here."

I was starting my residency in general medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital in two weeks. I was excited and blessed to be able to work at one of the best hospitals in Boston. Moving to Massachusetts from New Jersey was a hard decision but Ava and I wanted to make sure we were in an environment that offered the best opportunities for us. I want to make sure my family did not want for anything. That is why I busted my ass in med school and made sure I excelled at everything I did. Just before Ava got pregnant, she started taking online courses for her doctorate in Occupational Therapy at Boston University. She continued working through it all: nausea, backaches, migraines and the Braxton Hicks. I hope Jayla inherits her drive and determination. This pregnancy has been tough. Although Ava hates to admit it, it has taken a toll on her. I just want to make sure the love of my life stays healthy and stress-free until baby girl makes her grand entrance.

"You are absolutely right," Ava said as she glanced around, smiling cheerfully. "God has blessed us tremendously."

"Amen to that." I smiled as I pecked her plump lips. I am one lucky guy. "How about we go explore this new city of ours once the movers are done? Get dressed real nice and go to a nice restaurant with some bomb ass food." I offered.

"That sounds amazing. I am not quite sure about that whole Dora the Exploring because my feet are already barking but it is a definite yes to the bomb ass food part."

"Of course I am not going to have you walking everywhere. Just go get some rest before tonight." I said guiding her to the stairs.

"Taj, I am a big girl. I can go up the stairs by myself". She snapped jerking her hand away from mine as she proceeded up the stairs to the bedroom.

"Okay, Satan", I mumbled.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing sweetie."