Accidentally In Love

I sighed as the lady at the front of the Starbucks line changed her order again.

"Actually, can you make that a chai tea latte, please?"  She asked, tapping her gold-painted nails on the counter indecisively.

The barista paused for a moment.  "Will that be all, ma'am?"

The woman with the gold nails thought for a minute.  "Wait, can I add a white chocolate mocha to that?"

Everyone in line groaned.

The barista quickly rang her up before she could change her mind again.  "That'll be $8.86, if you take a seat, it'll be ready soon."

The next three customers, being somewhat less difficult, were helped quickly and soon I was at the front of the line.

"What can I get for you?"  The barista asked, cheerily, plastering on a fake smile.

"A double espresso."  I snapped.  I immediately felt bad, it wasn't her fault that I was in a crabby mood.  I 'd gotten no sleep last night, between working late and getting into a huge fight with my stepmother.

It was quite a ridiculous fight actually.  She had forgotten to pay the electric bill, so when the electricity was shut off, she'd blamed me.

"Miss, your double espresso is ready."

I smiled and took the cup gratefully, handing the barista a 20.  "Keep the change."

I quickly turned around and was shocked when I ran into something, or rather someone, spilling my coffee all over my white t-shirt, making it see through.

"What the-"

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, I'll buy you another one."  A handsome, dark-haired guy who looked to be a little older than me, knelt on the floor, mopping the coffee up with a handful of napkins from a nearby table.

When the guy finally looked up at me, I froze.  He had the most beautiful eyes that I'd ever seen.  They were light, chocolate brow, surrounded by thick, dark eyelashes, splaying out in every direction.  He had on a pair of glasses with simple black frames.

"I am so sorry."  He said again.

"No-No, don't worry about it."  I protested, still mesmerized by his eyes.

He stuck his hand out and we shook hands.  "I'm Zayn."

"Emma."

"Well, Emma, can I buy you another coffee?"  Zayn asked, smiling.

"That sounds great."

He scooped up all of the wet napkins and tossed them in the trash.  Then he grabbed my hand and pulled me to the end of the line.

I glanced down at my hand.  Our fingers were intertwined, mocha mixing with pale cream

"So, where are you from?"  Zayn asked.

"Post, Texas."

He looked surprised.  "What are you doing in New York?"

"My stepmother, Claire, had to move here for her job.  Where are you from?"

"Bradford."

"England?"

"Yep."

"You're a long way from home."

"I--"

"Can I get your order?"  I hadn't realized that we were already at the front of the ine.

"Two double espressos?"  Zayn looked at me for approval.

I nodded.

After about half a minute, the barsita held my coffee out to me.

"Uh, Zayn, can I have my hand back?"

He dropped my hand and ducked his head, a blush appearing on his tanned cheeks.

He grabbed his coffee from the counter and we walked to a nearby table.

"So, you're still in high school?"  he asked.

"Yep, but I'm getting the heck out of here as soon as I graduate."

"Where are you going to?"  Zayn asked, as he sipped his coffee.

"Actually, I was planning on moving to England."  I said, laughing

Zayn laid his hand on top of mine and an electric jolt shot through my veins.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure,"  I replied, not moving my hand.

"Do you believe in love at first sight?"  Zayn inquired, his deep brown eyes staring into mine.

"Do you?"  I asked, holding his gaze.

He paused.  "I didn't use to."

"What changed your mind?"  I questioned, intrigued.

"I met you."

I laughed, "That was so cheesy."

"It's true!"

We leaned forward slowly, caught in each other's gazed, and then our lips connected.