Call Me Heartless

Liv's POV

           God, could these people be any more dramatic?

We finally got to the creepy horror-movie house in the middle of nowhere and shit went down. I barely sat on the couch before everyone ran outside to see Val in a screaming match with the hot, old vampire.

The whole confrontation didn't last long though because Ava finally got fed up with her sister's crap and stormed off. Classic Ava. When the going got tough, she refused to stay around. Just like the rest of her family, I guessed.

Just an observation. It didn't mean I cared or anything.

That was the thing about this new life. I didn't care--not about anything. I looked at the people I'd known for years—Ava, Val, Luke—and felt nothing. No anger, no love, no friendship, no hatred. Just indifference.

I looked at Hanson--the one who did this to me, who made me this creature--and felt nothing. No instinct to rip his head off. No depression over the fact that I trusted him and he betrayed me.

"That was boring," I said as he ushered me back inside after the little dispute.

His body grew tense beside me. Funny, he seemed to tense up a lot especially in my presence. His expression grew more and more primeval as if he smelled something stale and pungent. I tried to remember just how he caught my interest before, back with my human eyes, but nothing came to mind.

Now I stood in the shower not feeling how steaming hot the water went down my back. I ran my hands through my tangled hair washing out the filth and grime. Ugh. How long had it been since I bothered to practice any kind of hygiene? Fact number one about the real vampires, we still had to shower. BO was still a thing even in the afterlife or whatever the hell this was.

I stepped out of the shower and rubbed the condensation from the mirror. Dark hair, dark eyes, nothing too special stared back. I remembered how people always called my pretty, told me I could be a model or an actress if I really tried. But I wasn't tall and blonde and curvy like the ideal. Maybe that was why I'd been jealous of Ava for years.

To think I'd been jealous of Ava. The thought now seemed laughable.

I wrapped a clean towel around my torso, surprisingly soft especially with the presence of so many old things in this Civil War house. Angelina, the annoying "Newborn expert", put some clothes out for me in my own room. Something surely distasteful according to her usual attire.

Hanson walked into the room as soon as the towel hit the floor. His eyes widened and he immediately looked away. "Ah, sorry. The door was open. I thought..."

I rolled my eyes standing with my hands on my hips in all the glory. "Whatever, it's nothing you haven't seen before. Get over yourself."

Hanson and I had gone back and forth for a couple of months now ever since the day after Dean Karr's party. We did the deed within a week. And plenty of times after that. Neither one of us were shy people. We knew what we wanted and didn't hold back.

"I know." He tried keeping his eyes on the floor as I pulled on my clothes. "Angelina just told me that she and her boyfriend were going to help you learn how to hunt properly today. I personally think it's useless considering we're supposed to be on the run right now. But my opinion clearly doesn't matter—"