Silent SOS

Liv's POV

            "We're leaving?" The girl who called herself Angelina asked. "Is it even safe out there?"

            Derek nodded from where he stood in the middle of the room. "With me, it is. I made sure Celia and the other Hunters were stalled just well enough when I left. And I will make sure that they can't detect us on the road."

            The blond bimbo Jane sat up on the couch. "So you're going with us?"

            "Of course," Derek said simply. "I'm a Hunter and I know their game plan. I've worked side-by-side with Celia for years now. I know what to expect."

            Val walked over to stand beside him. "I trust you, Derek. And I know your abilities are superior to others, but where are we supposed to go? We can't go back to their clan. The Hunters already found them once."

            Derek smiled slyly. "Like you said, Valerie, my abilities are the best of the best. I can make it work. Whatever spell I put on the house won't last forever, but it will last long enough for us to regroup."

            "Let's go then," Luke insisted.

            Why was Luke so into all this? How was he even here?

            My eyes fell on Hansen who sat beside me from where he stared. Oh, right, I reminded myself. The fuzzy human memories rehashed Hansen mentioning his hold on Luke. I remembered something coming over me--a strange buzz, but I couldn't describe it.

            Now I felt indifferent. About everything.

            Ava glanced over at me. "What about Liv?"

            "She comes with us," Derek told her. "Angelina, you said you have quite the experience with Newborns. I trust you can teach her not to kill people and such?"

            Angelina crossed her arms and glared over at me--no, Hansen. "I don't know with him in the picture."

            Hansen smirked over at her. "I promise to be obedient, master Angelica. I won't kill anyone, or manipulate any of our human friends. As long as I can be promised that the blonde ones will play nice."

            Val, Ava, Jane, and Luke all shot him a similar look of disdain.

            Derek rolled his eyes. "I'm sure they can hold back until you're feet are back on the ground. You'll leave as soon as it's safe, promise? I can think of several people who want your sorry ass as far as possible."

            "Really?" Hansen sat forward and almost whispered, "What about you? How long do you plan to stay? I'm pretty sure there are some people in this room tired of your words. I for one could care less if you decided to help or not."

            Derek's expression seemed fazed just for a second before regaining his strict demeanor. "I'll stay as long as it seems fit, and don't act like you don't need my help, Hansen. I notice a weakness when I see one."

            Derek's eyes scanned across me. Hansen tensed up, but his body loosened with his next breath.   

            "I'm not scared of you, Derek," he seethed. "Fine, you help. I'll go along with it. But as soon as everyone's in the clear, you leave and so will I? Agree?"

            "Agreed."

            So everyone prepared to head back to Wherever-the-hell-land. Not that there was anything to pack. Evidently being on the run also meant living in the same outfit and not showering.