~3~

Dawn came very early for both Wilson and Willow. Willow had awoken first, preparing the small bit of food she'd kept in her pack. Wilson slept, visibly shivering, but he didn't wake up. Willow had taken a beefalo wool blanket from the abandoned settlement she found and threw it on top of Wilson as she went to grab more wood. He woke up just as she returned from a grass trip. 

     "G'morning, Willow," Wilson said as he yawned. "Collecting supplies for today, hmm?" Wilson asked, standing up. He folded the beefalo wool blanket neatly, placing it on the wood pile. 

     "So, I had a question, sir," Willow blurted, picking up the blanket and stuffing it into her bag. Wilson looked up at her after putting out the fire. 

     "Ask away." Wilson said, gathering his supplies. He stuffed a handful of raspberries into his mouth while checking if he had everything. 

     "I was wondering, would you be willing to...well, stick together?" Willow asked quietly. Wilson clasped his satchel shut and gave Willow a neutral glance.

     "You've seen more of the land than I have. I'd be an idiot to say no." He replied, stretching. "Do you have everything?" Wilson asked her, Willow nodding in reply. "Which way would you prefer to go?" Wilson asked.

     "We should head north. I came from the North, on a cobblestone trail. I traveled just a few meters east to find you from the path, and I think it would be in our best interest to follow it back north." Willow explained. Wilson agreed, realizing the advantages. They could easily judge direction and find out where they were at any given time. 

     "Good point. You lead the way, then." Wilson pointed to where he'd met the girl just last night at the treeline. He did allow her to go first, noticing something shiny in the hem of her skirt. It was metallic and looked sharp. A dagger. "Is that a dagger you've got there?" Wilson asked. Willow turned to him, pulling the blade from her skirt. 

     "Stole it from my father before I burnt the house to the ground," Willow said, her white eyes hiding something. Wilson decided to not ask. "He kept the damn thing in his drawer, unlocked. He had it coming." She growled. Man, she really hates her dad, Wilson thought. At the same time, so do I. 

     "So, you burnt your house to the ground?" Wilson asked, immediately regretting his question. 

     "Yep. It was a sight to see, an even better one to hear." Willow gushed, chuckling somewhat darkly. As they reached the treeline, Willow dashed forward to look at the road. "There it is. That should take us North." Willow said, sticking the dagger back in the hem of her skirt. Wilson followed her to the path, tagging along behind her. He looked around at the countless pine trees that surrounded them, and it gave him a weird feeling of comfort. He nearly bumped into Willow when she suddenly stopped. There was a flash of white about fifteen meters away from where they both stood.

     "What is it?" He whispered. 

     "I'm not sure. Do you have a weapon?" Willow asked quietly. Wilson gripped his pocket knife and nodded. "Stay here. I'll check it out." Willow ordered, stalking ahead. She tore her dagger from her skirt when rustling came from a few nearby raspberry bushes. Wilson didn't dare stop her, afraid that she'd either stab him to death or light him on fire in his sleep. He wasn't sure which was worse. 

     "Willow, it's nothing. We need to go on." Wilson attempted to keep Willow from catching a bullet in the neck, so to speak, but she didn't take heed. She kept wandering around, the dagger sticking straight out. The blade glistened in the sun. A faint whistling sound could be heard. Wilson wondered what it was, his thoughts interrupted by Willow screaming. "What the- is that a blowdart?" Wilson asked, rushing to Willow's side. Sure enough, there was a huge dart sticking out of Willow's left thigh. Almost five seconds later, he heard a screech come from the woods.