Chapter 11 - Poetic love

(revised)

I ran to Eden and threw myself into her arms to share my happiness with her. She was so surprised by my sudden change of mood that she did not know what to say or how to react.

"He's alive, Eden! I ran into him in London!" I announced.

"Oh my God! Really?" she questioned, not quite believing such news.

"Yes! I'm so relieved. I can't believe he made it to me. He said he had promised," I responded excitedly.

"Are you talking about Collins?" One of the pilots present in the room asked.

"Yes, Andrew is alive. He was shot down by a German plane but was rescued by civilians and he was repatriated with the other soldiers," I explained in one breath.

"I'm glad to hear that! We could do with his help. And since you're here, we can be sure he'll show up."

I blushed, even though I had no reason to try to hide my feelings. It was not a secret for anyone anymore.

"So, you two are together now? I mean, not that I want to be intrusive, but I always thought you guys were dating and I couldn't believe it when I was told I was wrong," he scratched his head with embarrassment.

"We are. Dating. I mean, we are together now," I confirmed awkwardly.

"That man! He needs to teach me how to seduce girls like you."

"Oh, believe me, they're not easy ones," Eden added, triggering laughs from the other guys in the room.

"Do you know when he's coming back? Collins," he asked.

"Oh, tomorrow probably. He went to see his family this afternoon so, tomorrow yeah," I answered.

"Now that you know everything, darling, I'll take Freya with me, 'cause she has a lot to tell me," Eden declared, giving me a knowing look.

She dragged me away, to the outside, where she knew nobody would hear us.

"So?" she started, waiting for me to go on.

"So what?" I replied, faking innocence.

"What happened?" she said with excitement. "Yesterday your mind was completely elsewhere and then you left for London, and now that you're back, you're the incarnation of happiness."

"He came back, that's all," I smiled.

"I know that. But what happened then?"

"Well..." I looked at my hands to avoid her inquisitive eyes. "I ran into him at the station and then we went to my place since it wasn't too far, and he needed to rest and change. And we slept, and ate, and—"

"You slept, or you slept together?" she cut me off.

"Eden!" My cheeks turning bright red betrayed me.

"I knew it!"

"We didn't—"

"You're not that innocent!"

I felt so embarrassed that she had guessed so easily. It was like it was written on my face and that everybody could see it.

"Please, don't judge me."

"Why would I judge you?"

"Because I've left Lewis only yesterday and I already gave to someone else what I would refuse him lately... It makes me an easy girl."

"Fuck what they say! It doesn't make you an easy girl. You're in love! You followed your heart that's all."

"I know... But keep it to yourself, alright? My father seems to like him."