Chapter 6 - Set It On Fire

A few weeks later, Maria was still teaching the HD's the dance she had originally started with, as well as two new ones. The part of the routine she was teaching now meant they had to be paired up. Carla with Brandon. Lyric with Darnell. And Tina with Ricky. She was really piling the work on them, and Jess was kind of glad she wasn't a part of it. Though she still did miss the feel of dance, so she had taken up practising the moves alone in her room at the end of the day. She had a feeling Carla knew about it, but she hadn't mentioned it as of yet, so Jess was happy.

Today, they were in the dance studio as usual, and Maria was beginning to learn everyone else didn't like working too hard.

There had been a few incidents, including Darnell and Ricky adding their own comedy moves into the dance while Maria was trying to gte them to practise, Carla and Ricky posing for photos every time Maria called for a break, not to mention there was the fact that when people weren't facing the mirrors, they tended to bump into each other.

Maria exhaled and put her hands to her forehead, 'Okay. Let's try this again. Tina, Carla, try to make sure where you're where you're going this time.'

Tina put her hands on her hips, 'Maybe if you weren't making us work so hard, we'd be able to concentrate more.'

'Excuse me? We have, like, a week before the auditions and we can't even do one dance properly yet.'

Tina smirked, 'Fine. Why don't you do it?'

'...Alright,' she said, a determined look on her face.

She nodded at Brandon to play the music, before doing the entire routine with him effortlessly. When she'd done, Tina glared. Maria smirked.

'See? It's not that hard.'

Tina breathed heavily through her nose. Maria had really been infuriating her recently.

'Okay. Let's do this again. 5, 6, 7, 8...'

As they danced, Maria talked them through the moves.

'You gotta trust that the guys have your back. Okay turn, and you guys, know they're coming at you.'

'4, 5 and 6, 7, 8.'

Halfway through, Darnell and Ricky had decided to be stupid again and start hopping around on the floor.

'Are you serious?' Maria asked in frustration, 'Get up, get up!'

'You guys, pay attention.' she said as Tina and Carla bumped into each other again. She put her hands over her face and Tina groaned.

'This is so stupid. I'm taking five. You guys carry on.'

They all nodded and continued to practice the routine as Tina came and sat next to Jess.

'Yo, you okay?' she asked as she saw Jess glaring at Maria.

'Fine,' she replied through gritted teeth.

Tina sighed, 'No you're not. Something's bugging you. So come on, spill. What's up?'

Jess exhaled and looked down at the floor, 'It just pisses me off. Having Ricky just feet away from me and not being able to talk to him.'

Tina leaned back and pursed her lips, 'Hm, I get where you're coming from. Personally, I'm just annoyed with Maria. I think she's too self-centred. She just rolls up here, has a go, shows off some moves so everyone thinks she's amazing, and now she's in charge of the whole crew.'

Jess nodded, 'Word.'

Tina nodded, 'I think we were better off without her. I mean, technically it's her fault you and Ricky split up.'