Chapter 7 - Give Your Heart A Break

That evening, Jess was sat on the couch with Carla.

'What if something happened? I'm gonna regret that desicion for the rest of my life, Carla,' Jess said, beginning to panic.

Carla wrapped her arms round Jess, rocking her slightly as she hushed her, 'It's fine, okay.'

'No it's not,' Jess sobbed into her shoulder.

Carla pulled away and looked at Jess, 'Look, I know Ricky. He can more than handle himself in a fight, plus Darnell was with him. They'll be fine, okay? I know they will.'

Jess sighed sadly, 'You'd better be right.'

'I am, okay? I'm always right.'

Just at that moment, there was a knock at the door. Carla and Jess looked at each other simultaneously.

'Who the hell is that?' Carla asked frowning.

Jess' eyes widened, 'Is it-?'

'Guess we have to find out,' Carla said, standing up.

She walked out of the room to go answer the door. Jess sat on the edge of the seat as she heard the door unlock, then open.

'Hey, is Jess home?'

She'd recognise that voice anywhere.

Jess shot up from her seat and ran over to the door where Ricky was waiting. There was a split second where they both hesitated before Jess ran into Ricky's arms and he gave her a huge hug, twirling her round as he did so.

Jess pulled away slightly to take a proper look at him. Apart from a small cut on his lower lip, he seemed to be fine.

She flung her arms round him again, 'I thought you...'

He hugged her back gently, 'I know. It's okay. I'm here now.'

'Hey, Carla, why didn't I get a greeting like that from you?'

Jess looked up to see Darnell stood behind Ricky. As far as Jess could see, Darnell's injuries consisted of a small cut on his cheek and a purple bruise on his arm. He was looking at Carla, a pout on his face. Carla laughed.

'Because we aren't dating.'

Everyone paused as they remembered Jess and Ricky weren't dating either, and what Ricky had said to Luis earlier. Carla looked between Ricky and Jess, her eyes wide.

Jess looked up at Ricky, and he nodded.

'I think me and you should talk.'

...

A few hours later, Jess and Ricky were sat on some swings in the park. It was nearly 10pm but they were both still deep in conversation.

'So... why did you tell Luis we were still dating?' Jess asked him.

He looked down and sighed, 'Because... I didn't want to give him the satisfction of having ya.'

Jess frowned, 'But why would you care?'

He stayed silent for a few moments before looking back up at her, 'Because I still love you.'

Jess tilted her head to the side and frowned. Ricky laughed slightly.

'I guess I owe you an explanation. Okay...'

'When you told me you didn't trust me, I was hurt at first. But then I went home, and I kind of realised why. I mean, I've had a history of doing it in the past, yeah. But then today, when I saw Luis looking at'cha like that, I kind of realised I felt exactly the same. I was jealous.'

Jess nodded slightly, looking down at the ground.

'But, obviously before that happened, I didn't fully understand. I still loved you, but I wasn't ready to admit I was wrong... So instead, I didn't talk to you. And then, Maria got us to dance together today... and everything came flooding back...'

Jess looked up at him and tilted her head to the side.

'Ricky... I never wanted to hurt you...'

He nodded, 'I know now.'

Jess reached out and held his hand, 'Please... I know I hurt you before, but I swear to God I'll never do it again. I can't live being without you. I lo-'

Ricky placed a finger over her lips, '...I love you too.'

Jess welled up and laughed slightly in relief. Ricky put his hand on the small of her back and kissed her gently. When they pulled apart, Ricky smiled.

'I guess this means we can finally go back to normal.'

Jess nodded, 'Yeah...'

Ricky grinned and stood up before holding out his hand to her.

'Come on then. You are definately staying at my place tonight.'

...

'He said what?!'

Jess was on the phone to Carla whilst sat in Ricky's room as he played with her hair, looking at her adoringly.

'Carla, I told you what he said and I'm not repeating it. He's sat next to me and it was embarassing saying it the first time.'

Carla laughed at the other end, 'Okay then, well have fun anyways. You still coming in tomorrow?'

'Course I am. I can't miss practice when we're this close to the auditions.'

'You mean you're coming with us to do the audition?'

Jess sighed, 'Yeah.'

Carla squealed at the other end of the phone.

'Okay then. See ya tomorrow, babe. And don't get carried away tonight, by the way.'

Jess laughed, 'Okay. I won't. Bye.'

'See ya.'

And with that, Carla hung up the phone. Jess looked at the phone, smiling, before putting it on the bedside table and settling into Ricky's arms.

'I missed this,' she thought aloud.

'Yeah, me too,' Ricky said softly.

Jess sighed happily, 'So, what are we doing tonight?'

He smiled, 'Well, I was thinking we could watch a film, catch up on stuff. Y'know?'

Jess nodded, 'Sounds good. What movie do you have in mind?'

'Uh...' he stood up and walked over to the TV cabinet, tugging her along gently.

Jess knelt down to choose a film.

'Hmm... Step Up okay with you?'

'Sure,' he said, smiling.

Jess stood back up and went to sit back on the bed as Ricky set up the DVD. Just as she was getting comfortable, she got a text. Jess picked up the phone. It was from Lyric.

Carla told us the news. Congrats! Can't wait for us to do the auditions now, we're gonna show the 718 who's boss! xx

Jess smiled as Ricky came and sat next to her, 'Who is it?'

'Lyric. She says congrats on getting back together.'

'Aw,' he said, laughing slightly, 'Tell her I said thanks.'

Jess grinned and text back.

Ricky says thanks

She put the phone in her pocket as the film started up. 5 minutes in, Lyric text back.

Well, okay then. You 2 have a fun night. Can't wait for tomorrow xx

Jess smiled

Neither can I

She put the phone down and sighed contentedly as she snuggled into Ricky. She rested her head on his shoulder and he looked down at her, kissing her forehead.

'I love you.'

She exhaled, 'I love you too.'