Sugarcoated {9}

AIDEN

Seeing Toby and Noah together, seemed to make me even more confused than I was before.

I knew the way I felt for Toby was the same it was a year ago. Maybe even stronger. Instead of frustrating ourselves with pointless chatter about how bad we already knew everything was, we just dove in, picked up where we left off.

Only now there was someone else there too.

He was scooting closer to me, our lips nearly grazing one another's-

I shook my head as it tried to replay in my mind. I couldn't dwell after what had happened the last time I fell for my best friend. I couldn't be developing feelings for Noah, I had only just met him!

He tried to kiss me... And I almost wanted to-

I shook my head again trying to focus. He would be here any minute to pick me to go to school, and it wasn't safe for me to keep having these thoughts. I had to stop thinking about it, I mean, there was no way he actually wanted to kiss me! It had to have been some sort of... judgement lapse. He was caught up in the moment.

I sighed deeply before making my way downstairs, pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration at the sight of my dad passed out once again on the couch, beer cans scattered all around him. I grabbed a trash bag from the kitchen and began to pick them up, before my phone buzzed with a text from Noah saying he was here. I sent a text telling him to come in, shoving it in my back pocket and going back to the cans.

"Hello?" I heard Noah call from down the hallway. I popped into the doorway, and motioned him to come in.

He came into the living room, hardly even phased by all the cans laying around.

"Sorry," I said, trying to pick up the cans quickly, "This wasn't really how I pictured you first seeing my dad."

"I know he drinks a lot," Noah said supportively, "My uncle is an alcoholic, I understand."

I froze before squinting my eyes at him, "I never told you my dad was an alcoholic."

He picked up a few cans throwing them into the trash bag I was holding, almost looking nervous, "Sorry, I was just assuming, what with all the beer cans."

Something felt wrong; I know I had always been funny about sugarcoating lies, but I couldn't risk an argument with him, not after he saw my dad.

We finished cleaning up and I dropped the bag in the kitchen before we made our way to his car. Just as he did every morning, he drove with his knees as he scrolled through his iPod for a song. He settled, a coy smile coming to his face as he gripped the steering wheel.

"Another day is going by, I'm thinking about you all the time but you're out there and I'm here waiting," The speakers blasted. I tried to think nothing of his song choice; Simple Plan had great music, that was why he played it. It can't mean anything, Noah didn't even know I was gay.

But then he grabbed my hand.

I looked up at him with wide eyes, my heart clenching. His face had the lightest blush, and his eyes were fixated on the road. And then, there it was again, that feeling of wanting to impress him.

But I was starting to think it was more than that. I grinned and intertwined my fingers with his, staring out the window the rest of the way to school. For some reason, when we pulled into his parking space, I was almost... disappointed.