Sugarcoated {13}

AIDEN

I couldn't stop smiling. I had this feeling of pure ecstasy, and there was nothing in this moment that could rid me of that joy. With Noah propped up against my pillows, I was laying on my back between his legs in a comfortable embrace, his arms hanging over my shoulders as we watched videos on his phone. But my focus was on the warm feeling bubbling in my stomach than I hadn't ever felt this strongly before. Did I see this coming the day I met Noah? By no means. Now that it's happening? Honestly, didn't really see that coming either. He surprised me; He made me happy.

I shifted my gaze from his phone and bent my head up to look at him. His bright eyes were focused on the screen, a faint of a smile on his face from video he was watching. His blonde hair was hanging in front of one of his eyes. I reached up, brushing it out of his face, tucking it behind his ear, strands of it still falling back over his forehead. He gave a small smile, pausing his video, looking back into my eyes.

"Can I help you?" he joked with a small laugh.

My smile grew bigger, my cheeks stinging, "No, I just- You're just so beautiful." I ran my eyes over his face, before meeting his gaze again. "I'm so lucky to have you."

He smiled, kissing my forehead, "I think I'm the lucky one," He grazed his fingers over my face gently, making my heart race, "Let's get out of here. I want to take you out."

"In public?"

"Why not, ashamed of me?" He joked.

"No, I just don't really leave the house much," I said, trying not to let my anxiety get the best of me. "Id love to go anywhere with you though." I shifted to let him get up, pulling me up with him.

Without a word he took my hand in his, guiding me down the stairs, and out to his car. He hooked his phone up as he backed out, putting the car in drive trying to settle on a song. With his knees on the wheel, he glanced at me through the corner of his eye as he picked a song. "Ugh, I can't pick," he said after bit of scrolling, "Here, play something." He handed me his phone, placing his hands back on the wheel and focusing on the road. I scrolled through the songs, deciding just to put his music on shuffle when his phone vibrated.

"You got a text from your mom," I told him, his eyes still glued to the road.

"Oh?" He said, "What does it say?"

I clicked on the message confused as to what I was reading, "Uhm, It says 'Hey, just a heads up, Charlie is coming home early. We will be picking him up from the airport tonight. Do you want to come with us?'"

He seemed to tense up a bit once I said the name Charlie. He cleared his throat before speaking, "Can you text her back saying that we're going to be out all day, and I'll see him when I get home?" I nodded, sending the reply, and putting his phone in the cupholder.

I didn't know who Charlie was, and I wasn't sure if I should ask or not. He had never said that name to me before, and I was struggling not to let my anxiety take over. I have made so much progress and I wasn't going to psych myself out over nothing.

"Charlie is my brother," Noah said, his eyes not leaving the road.

"Oh?" I said, thankful he decided to talk about it, "How come I've never met him before?"

Noah sighed, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as he pulled up at a stop light, "He's been deployed on active duty. He is, or was, in the military. He was discharged just last week for drug use."