Chapter III: Lies

You cannot trust her
                       She will betray you
Nobody wants to be your friend anyway
             You're going to hurt her
You always hurt others
                      You don't have friends
     Lies
                               Lies
        Lies
                     She lies
    Like everybody

"Shut up!"

Jim held his head between his hands, gripping his dark locks and pulling them slightly. His big brown doe eyes were closed tightly. His lips were turned into a frown and were trembling a bit, his face painfully distorted. He was sitting on the edge of his bed, rocking slightly back and forth. Tears wetted his orbs and rolled down his cold cheeks.

"Please, just shut up...", he whimpered.

But they didn't shut up. Those voices, they hurt so bad. Especially since he wasn't even supposed to hear them.

James Moriarty had a unique mind, a mind that sometimes could be dangerous. He had anger management issues, lack of compassion for others, psychopathic tendencies...

His dad, being a scientific specialized on the research on human behaviour, decided to test a new experimental pill on his poor son. This pill was supposed to suppress his anger and make him more like a "normal" fifteen years old boy.

But these pills had side effects. The voices. It didn't happen all the time, they came more like panic attacks. It especially occurred during the evening or night, when Jim was particularly tired or stressed.

And tonight, they were really strong. Stronger than usual. And of course he was alone. His dad was still working on late shifts that he obviously didn't take the time to warn his son about beforehand.

The boy tried to talk to his dad about the side effects, but he wouldn't listen. He kept repeating that "It is just a matter of time!", or that "they are still prototypes that are going to get some improvements." But they never did. The pills never became better.

And James had enough. He was tired of hearing them yell at him, saying awful things about (y/n)...

Jim knew they were wrong. (Y/n) wasn't a liar. She couldn't be. The boy felt it. He knew she was his friend and he cared very much for her.

The boy opened his eyes again. Emotionlessly staring at the wall in front of him, he let his arms drop on the side. He stood up, stretching his thin legs, and walked out of his room to his bathroom.

>——>

Jim stared at his reflection on the cabinet for few moments. The stains of his salty tears on his reddened cheeks. Dark bags under his exhausted eyes. Messy hair.

He sighed before opening the cabinet. He immediately spotted the blue bottle filled with blue and white pills. He grabbed it, and glared at it for a few seconds. Then, he turned towards the toilet, twisted the lid open, and poured the content from the half filled bottle into the water, staining it with a blue greenish shade. And then he flushed the toilet, watching as the pills swirled down and disappeared.

At first, he regretted doing it. He thought about if his dad would find out, how he would react. Perhaps Mr. Moriarty would force his son to take something even worse, even stronger with even bigger side effects.

But then, the more he thought about it, the more Jim felt relieved. He realized that he truly didn't care what other people thought about him. He knew who he was, and even though he was different, he knew he was intelligent, and that he was capable of doing things others might not do.

He wanted to be himself. For (y/n).

James knew that this was the only way he would be able to completely protect her.

That night, Jim fell asleep more peaceful than he has been in a very long time, the face of a pretty (h/c) haired girl with soft (e/c) eyes looking back at him lingering in his mind and making him forget the dreadful voices whose screams seemed to quiet down, before being nothing but a barely audible whisper.

>——>