Resisting the Wolf

Resisting the Wolf

Copyright All Rights Reserved. 

Chapter 1

I shifted in my seat, drumming my fingers nervously on my knees –starring at the paper, which I held onto as tight as I could without ripping. I had been sitting here for over an hour watching as hopeful parents hugged their children, my dad hadn’t come, and I wouldn’t want him to. He would just make me even more nervous. My family believed that werewolves weren’t as good as they let on; my dad believed that every fibre of their being was evil. I was here for one purpose and one purpose only, to find her and follow her, whoever she might be. I was here because it was well known that Clare Mason was likely to become Alpha Kay’s mate.

A moment of doubt overwhelmed me, this would be the most dangerous thing I had ever done and I wondered for a fleeting moment if I could run bit dismissed the notion immediately, this was important. I looked back at the guard’s dressed in black there were three or four of them standing at the back door of the gym and a few stood around the room, one blocked the entrance to the changing rooms and another at the makeshift counter, where a female werewolf sat checking the students in. I surveyed the room for what seemed the millionth time there was no way out, not that I needed to, I would be fine. I watched as Clare Mason stood tall a group of girls gushing around her. I was here to survey her to learn as much as possible about her without being noticeable. The whole room was busy chatting excitedly awaiting their number.

6046” the gentle, female voice boomed through the intercom. I looked down at my sheet I was next. I watched a boy named Daniel walk up to the counter, he too was part of the resistance. There was four of us in total attending to this task, although I wasn’t quite sure what the task was, all we had been told was to watch Claire Mason and anyone else who seemed likely to become Alpha Kay, then when he visited today and found his mate we would be given further instruction. As he hands the woman his sheet he turns his head towards me, as though feeling my gaze and winks at me. He knew I was nervous. I was next in the register; I was going to be called up next.

6047” I stood up my legs were shaking my stomach fluttered with nerves but not the good kind. I wasn’t sure what it was behind the door. We’d been told that we’d just have to line up and be assessed… in our underwear. I wasn’t looking forward to being naked, no one had seen me naked since I had hit puberty and now I would have to be assessed by monsters in my birthday suit! I walked calmly over to the desk giving the woman my sheet she smiled kindly at me. Her blonde hair wisped down in waves he makeup was minimal but she was still prettier than any human.

“Name?”

“Alexis Hanson”

“Ok Alexis, as soon as you step into that room you are number 6047. You will be referred to and you will respond to 6047 do you understand?”

I nod mumbling a yes; it’s futile to argue. I don’t like being degraded to a number and I don’t like having to respond to it but I would grit my teeth and bare it.

“The guard will lead you to the females picking room, if you are chosen for something you must stay behind,”

 A Guard came to my side gesturing to the big blue door I walked behind the guard through the school corridors, I had been attending the school for just over a month in order to learn as much as possible about Claire Mason. I walked past one classroom, seeing Joel’s familiar mop of sand coloured messy hair. He was there in case one of us was sold, or worse. He had a shotgun and as this hallway led to the only school exit it would be easy for him to shoot whoever was around so we could make a break for it. The guard opened the heavy mahogany doors that led to the school’s drama studio; the walls were black as were the curtains, which covered every window, the spotlights were glowing. The harsh glow was the only light in the room.