Chapter 4: Caden's Mishap

Chapter 4

Bethany smiled contently. Has it been two weeks already? she thought, shaking her head in disbelief. She couldn't have planned for it to go any better herself. Vivianne had apologized profusely for her behavior, Cali and Caden were actually behaving for once, and Henry was working less hours to bring home a bigger paycheck.

How she had gotten so fortunate as to end up with such a wonderful family she didn't know, but was extremely grateful.

"Caden, Cali, where are you two?"

The twins had just started half-days of kindergarten. Thankfully it was in the morning so after breakfast Bethany could relax for a short while. Afternoons were chaotic, though, since the two were either bickering or partners-in-crime, thinking up some devious little plan bound to land them in a heap of trouble.

She quickly searched the rooms downstairs for the two but there was no sign, messy or noisy, that indicated they had been there recently.

Probably creating some sort of mayhem in their room, Bethany decided. Tiredly she walked sluggishly over to the stairs while fixing her damp ponytail.The heat clung to the back of her slender neck and she squirmed uncomfortably.

She would have to deal with the stuffy weather for another couple days before Henry had time to install the air conditioners they had brought with them. Sighing in hot frustration, she climbed the stairs and narrowed her eyes slightly.

"Now where did those two get to?" Bethany mumbled to herself, taking in the empty hallway in a matter of seconds. As she moved towards the pair's room, she heard a loud crash from what sounded like the kitchen area.

"Playing hide and seek, huh?"

Walking hurriedly down the stairs, she rushed into the kitchen and halted, a look of confusion taking place of the previous look of triumph.

A pan that had been sitting out to dry on the counter was currently resting on the floor, but no one was in sight.

"Now how did you get on the ground?" Bethany mused, taking half a step forward before she heard a faint scream.

"Mom, come here! Caden's been hurt!"

She whipped around to see Cali racing through the living room at top speed, her young face pale and full of fear.

"C'mon, mom, he's outside," the 6-year-old yelled, grabbing her mother's hand and urgently tugging it. Together they ran outside to the backyard to find Caden lying on his back moaning in obvious pain while clutching his left arm.

Tears ran down his cheeks as he insistently tried to brush them away, though his efforts were useless. More clear drops leaked from his squinting eyes.

"I'm okay, mom, really," Caden managed to choke out between sobs and a glare aimed at Cali, who was hopping from her left foot to right, making some sort of worried dance.

Bethany gently sat him up, tutting disapprovingly at his attempt to appear tough. "I don't think you can just walk it off," she murmured, running a practiced hand over his arm for any swelling.

When she reached his shoulder he cried out loudly, ripping out of her grasp and collapsing on the grass again. Unfortunately he landed on his injured shoulder, causing him to wail even louder.

Looking up at Cali's frightened expression, Bethany instructed, "Go inside and call dad. Tell him Caden is hurt and I'm taking him to the hospital, and that he needs to come home to wait for Vivianne. Then grab an ice pack from the freezer and come right back out. Got it?"

Cali nodded, her blue eyes huge and shiny with unshed tears.Spinning around she ran back into the house, out of sight for only a few minutes before reappearing.

"Mommy I can't find the phone!" she yelled, worry causing her voice to tremble. Bethany motioned for her to return to her brother's side.

"I'll do it. Holler if anything happens."

She ran to the house, panic making her throat constrict with fear.Bursting through the doors, she ran into the kitchen and within seconds picked up the phone from behind a stack of paprers on the table and dialed Henry's work number.

"Please pick up, please pick up," she muttered, pacing back and forth impatiently. Finally she heard him answer.

"Hello, you have reached Primerica Financial Services. This is Henry, how may I-"

"Henry, it's Bethany. Caden hurt his shoulder and I'm taking him to the hospital. Would you be able to come home early before Vivianne gets out of school?"

She heard a sharp intake of air through the line before he replied, "I'll try. If not I'll leave a message on the machine and be as quick as possible. Just hurry-call me when you hear something or you're on your way home."

They quickly exchanged goodbyes and she ran to the freezer, searching frantically for an ice pack. Locating one she grabbed it and scanned the room one last time.

Her eyes landed on the kitchen sink. "What the...?"

The pan that she remembered perfectly well had been drying, then fell on the floor, was laying in the sink.

Maybe Cali put it in there, she tried to reason, knowing full well her daughter wouldn't have picked it up even if she wasn't in a hurry.

Bethany shrugged her uneasy feeling off. It wasn't the most pressing issue she had to deal iwth anyways.

Snatching her purse from the entrance way she locked the door and ran to the garage. Despite her weak physical build she managed to carry Caden to the car and buckle the twins up in record time. Soon they were speeding down the road.

Thanks to Google Maps and 3G service on her cell phone, Bethany easily located a nearby hospital and pulled in the parking lot.

"Come on, Caden, let's get you inside," she murmured soothingly, lifting him gently out of the car. With Cali's tentative help the trio entered the hospital and made their way over to the receptionist.

Once she filled out their personal information the secretary told them to have a seat in the waiting area.

It must have been a slow day because they were admitted to the emergency room after only about five minutes. The doctor who treated Caden was efficient and kind, which Bethany greatly appreciated.

The whole visit lasted just over an hour, with Bethany's suspicions confirmed. Caden had dislocated his shoulder, and with a little medication and readjusting, all that was need was for her to pick up a prescription for painkillers and Caden to take it easy for four to six weeks.

Caden skipped out in front of his sister and mother, glad that his shoulder was back in place and barely hurting at all.

Bethany shook her head in wonder, gazing at the now happy-go-lucky child. Only Caden could dislocate his shoulder by playing tag, she thought in amusement.

                                                               ************

Yay, another update!

Yes, this one sucks. And it's short. But I don't feel good. So take what you get! :P

A ghost pan, then. That's interesting..

TO SILENT READERS: Yes, I'm talking to you. Comment. Vote. I don't care if you just say, "Hey, I read this," I want you to comment! If you want. I guess. Worms make me crazy... If you get that then you're awesome.

P.S. Sorry for my super random babbling. I promise I will not do that again. It only happens when I feel bad. Okay, until the next update then!