Chapter 2: Ghost or Imagination?

Chapter 2

It was very late in the afternoon when Bethany opened her eyes next. She yawned and carefully stretched her arms above her head, hoping the children were still asleep. They may be her little angels, but sometimes they sure don’t act like it.

Henry glanced at her and smiled. “Good evening,” he whispered teasingly.

Bethany rolled her eyes but returned the smile. She silently turned around and checked on Vivi and the twins, who, to her relief, were still sleeping. After sighing contently, she looked back at her husband.

“How far is it?”

“About another half-hour or so. You slept most of the day, by the way. I’m surprised.”

“Taking care of children all day will do that to you. They drain all the energy you once had and leave exhaustion in its place. I assume that’s why parents seem to age so much faster.”

Henry shook his head and chuckled quietly.

“You know, that’s not a proven fact. Statistics say that married couples live longer than single people, so explain that one.”

Bethany grinned at Henry and replied, “Too easy. My theory is that they don’t want their kids to get their money just yet, if they have any. Couples want their children to spoil them as they grow older, before their mind goes awry and their life fades away.”

She looked at her husband, whose eyes were twinkling in amusement.

“You’re so cynical… You and your theories.”

She smiled sweetly and leaned back into her seat.

“Henry, you know how much I’ve always appreciated facts and statistics. I believe they’re what make the world ‘go round,’ so to speak. There’s just something interesting about the way scientists believe everything can be scientifically proven. Except for certain aspects of religion, of course.”

The two continued their spirited debate on religion, theories, and science as they slowly made their way to Sacramento. About forty-five minutes later, Bethany woke the children.

“Caden, Vivi, Calli, you need to get up. We’re almost there,” she called over her shoulder.

Vivi was the first to stir, peering out the window with unmasked hope shining on her young face. Bethany’s heart sank as she saw her daughter’s obvious disappointment that they were not in Genoa. When was she going to realize that they had no intentions of returning to Nevada for any longer than a few days to visit their relatives and friends?

“Vivianne, wake your brother and sister.”

When Henry stopped the car and announced that they had arrived, Bethany eagerly opened the door and stood, studying their new house. It was doable, she thought. Certainly bigger than their house back in Nevada.

White paint made the house almost seem to be giving off its own light, despite the ever darkening sky as the sun drew close to the horizon. A small porch led to the front door of the two-story home while an unattached garage was located further in the driveway.

Bethany took a quick glance at the backyard and was relieved to find a sizable space for the children to play. Considering how close the houses were together, she had thought that there would be next to nothing. Relief made her truly relax for the first time in a long while. Since Henry was the only one who had been to see the house, she had been worrying about everything for the past couple of months.