Chapter 2: Keyana

"Baby," I flicked my hair in his face.

"Yes?" Israel took my waist in his arms, "You are so beautiful."

"Is that all you see in me?"

I laughed, "This beauty I possess. I am more, I am top of my class, I am head captain of the dance team. I–"

"Enough," he said hoarsely.

I scowled and pulled out of his embrace to wade further through the moonlit water. Israel followed behind me, his chest rumbling like it always did when he had words on his mind.

"I know you are more than your beauty. Yana, where is this coming from?"

"Maybe you take me for a fool? Or, worse, someone deserving of your transgressions."

Israel grabbed ahold of my hand, pulling me back to his chest, "Keyana."

I rolled my eyes and the moon was the only witness, "I heard you've been meeting with Sheila during my morning classes,"

I turned to face him, "And Sunrise Cafe, really?"

He sighed, "It's not what you think, she volunteered to tutor me. You know my father's been on my ass about my grades."

"As if it even matters! You're going to be crowned Alpha in less than six months."

"Ah yes, the day my responsibilities stretch an entire kingdom."

"The day our responsibilities stretch an entire kingdom," I find his eyes. "Israel, you are not in this alone."

I put my arms over his shoulders and he softened into me, "If you know I am more than a pretty face. Let me in your heart. Let me be your future Queen."

"There's nothing I want more than that," He paused. "My wolf--."

I interrupt before he can finish that wretched admission. It was nothing but hysteria from neighboring packs devised to keep us apart.

"Your wolf grows stronger, more restless! It can hardly be concerned with the politics being placed onto it. When the time is upon us, the Moon Goddess will announce us as mates and your wolf will have no choice but to fall in line."

"How can you be so sure?"

I gazed toward the moon, praying it would bestow patience upon me, "How can you doubt what we have?"

He opened his mouth but I placed a finger on his lips.

"I talked to the Kinywa."

His arms rubbed the sides of my arms, "What did she say?"

I hid my laugh with a smile, "That your wolf's cold feet occurring near the Luna Moon mating ceremony, is as old as time."

Israel gave a small smile and kissed me under the moonlight, "Let's get back to Jua Kupanda."

I focused on the task at hand and met eyes with the girl from my morning class; Naomi. I raised my brow, then gestured to my father's diner.

"What do you think?"

"It's beautiful," Naomi replied in wonder. Then a sudden change.

"Truly. I mean, when you said your parents had their own restaurant, I kind of expected a mom and pops shop."

I laughed until my abs were sore. She was the first colleague I'd brought to Sunrise Cafe who had the balls to admit this to my face.

"You really think I'd bring you to a throw-away restaurant just because my parents own the place?"