Chapter 1: Naomi

Buzzz. Buzzz. Brring! 

 I jumped up from my sleep, nearly falling off onto the icy wood panels.

I groaned, "Stupid alarm."

I searched through the folds of my fluffy comforter until my hands wrapped around the cool edges of my phone. I pressed snooze with a sigh then lifted my head towards the miniature screen. One missed call from my mom and a text which read:

"You're late...again. Call me back."

I sat up. Holy sh⏤this was my third time this month waking up late. I didn't have time to feel sorry for myself, I could save that for later when I returned my mom's phone call. I ripped my blankets off and tiptoed to my bathroom.

Through heavy lids, I pressed the light switch and peered into my mirror. My shoulder-length hair was matted in several places along with frizz covering my entire head. There was black liner smeared under my eyes and red staining my swollen lips. The lash hanging from my nose was the last straw. I threw my head back and burst out laughing. I just had to make those shots an even number? I gagged, feeling the effects of my bad decisions all over again.

Last night, I let my best friend, Lila, persuade me to go to the Alpha's Greek party. It usually wasn't my thing. I had an unfinished project in Physiology and hadn't even started my midterm paper in Chemistry. I glanced at my reflection again, disappointed this time. Speak of the devil, my Chemistry lecture was in ten minutes and I hadn't even showered.

I could all but hear my mother's voice, even in my memory, "Was the party worth it, Nao?!" Images of a man with mud-colored eyes came to mind. There was an element of danger to him as he watched me sway on the dance floor. It could've been a figment of my imagination, the way his attention made me feel like the cells in my body were alive. Fiery heat danced underneath my skin.

I drug a cold, wet wipe against my face, hoping to forget the whole thing altogether. I could count on one hand, the amount of people who could meet my gaze and keep it. I had as my mother would say, an intimidating demeanor.

I shook my head, threw away the makeup wipe, and turned on the shower. Nihil es verum. Nothing is real. The scalding water turned my muscles to jelly and my mind into mush. Life was easier when I heed such advice. The prickly drizzles down my back and shoulders made it impossible to rush. Fuck that class, I thought.

Twenty minutes later, I dried off, blow-dried my shoulder-length hair, and tossed on black leggings and a crop top to wear under my hoodie. I added a few more touches to my simple makeup look, then took a glance at the time.

Huge mistake.

"Shit." I dashed out the door with my tote bag and sped my small frame to the Chemistry lab. The sun glowed behind thick clouds that painted the sky gray, as I crossed the sidewalk through campus I brainstormed my options. The objective was to get to my seat without drawing any attention, it was an aggressive goal but getting caught flagged for a third tardy was out of the question.

The doors creaked open, turning the first couple of heads. I could still come back from this, I crept my way to the closet seat to the door and sat down without a sound.

Professor Dilden was busy writing on the whiteboard, his back facing the class. "Does everyone understand what I've just written," students in the auditorium gave several nods, and yeses and I joined in inconspicuously.

He turned his wiry frame to the row of seats on the right where I was sitting and I spotted a smirk on his pointy face, "Naomi. Glad you were able to join us."

Great. With a tight smile, I cut the act and pulled out a notebook and pen. Next to me was a girl with caramel skin, she had a serious glint in her eyes as she took notes. No doubt it was an attempt to appear preoccupied to avoid being associated with my awkward situation.