Chapter Eleven- I'm so sorry

Chapter  Eleven- I’m so sorry

NATHAN’S POV

Bruised ribs, a broken arm, cuts and bruises. I got off lightly, Lucy is in a coma, my babies are dead.

I don’t remember anything after the crash, I just remember waking up in hospital, screaming her name, wanting to protect her.

The Nurse’s face had been a mask of pain as she had broken the news to me “I’m so sorry, your partner is in intensive care with bleeding to the brain, the foetuses didn’t make it.”

But as she looked at me with her sympathetic eyes my anger grew to this fierce burning pain in my chest, and I took it out on the only person I could, the nurse “YOURE FUCKING SORRY? YOU THINK THAT WILL MAKE IT BETTER?? YOU DON’T KNOW HOW I FEEL! FUCK YOU”

All this outburst had earned me was a shot in the arm, a sedative, couldn’t have a loose cannon on the ward now, could we? I don’t feel that anger now, I am pumped full of so many anti- depressants it’s hard to feel anything anymore.

I don’t remember who I was, before Lucy, before the triplets. I don’t remember how I could have gone through it alone, not cared, I didn’t know how I could do it again.

They told me that she might not wake up, that she might die at any time. And all I know is that it’s my fault, I should have been looking, and I shouldn’t have insisted on the drive, I should have been paying attention. If she dies, it’s on my watch.

It had broken my heart again when her mother came, that strong powerful woman who fell to the ground and wept at the sight of her baby girl. The woman whose dead eyes, I knew, reflected my own.

Is this what love does to you? I always thought that I could get by on my own, I never wanted to marry, never wanted to commit to anyone or anything, but when I met Lucy I just knew I had to make her mine.

She was going to wake up, if I had to die to make it happen.

Lucy was so young, so beautiful, she didn’t deserve this, and this wasn’t her time! She was nineteen for God’s sake!

Fate must hate me, destiny must despise my guts. Because all I know is that moment in the car, that last moment before everything had gone wrong, that was the happiest moment of my life.

And I WILL be damned if I am going to let my love die with her.

LUCY’S POV

Faces…..

Memories….

People and places….

I can’t quite reach them, who am I? Where am I?

I can hear laughter, smell a soft summer’s day. Blurry outlines of people I can’t make out haunt my dreamlands.

I can’t remember my name, I know I should but it just won’t come to me. My memories have been locked away.

Why am I here? I should be happy, I was happy.

I just want something to hold onto, something to tell me who I am.

Something to make me want to live.

Something to push away the looming darkness that threatens to take me away. So… inviting, but I know I can’t go there, something is telling me to hang on, and I know I must.

A soft, bleeping of machinery, rhythmic, tries to lull me even further into my dreamland.

I can’t feel anything, my body is numb. But I know this is good, reality, feeling brings pain.

N-a-t-h-a-n, the only word that will come to me, I mumble it over and over, reaching through this cotton candy land to the one where my body waits for me.

I don’t know what it means, it should mean something to me.

My soul is pulling away; it can see children, three of them. More beautiful than any I have ever seen. They laugh, so identical, two girls and a boy.

My children…

NATHAN! I remember, I need to get back to him, back to the life in my stomach. I. CAN’T. LET GO!!!

I fell myself bursting through the worlds, body and spirit reconnecting.

PAIN, my head, my stomach, my chest. Every inch of my body is screaming as I scrunch my fingers up in pain, grasping for something to make me hang on. But that world is long gone now, that opportunity to be with the beautiful children.

There is a gasp from somewhere close, it comes out as a sob, male, he was male “L-Lucy?”

“N-Nathan, is that you?”

“Of course baby, of course, I’m here, everything is going to be fine”

The sharp pains stab at my brain again, and I feel intense resentment for the boy clutching at my hand “y-your fault”

And that was when the blackness rushed to claim me once more.

****(a/n)****

Okay, so i need 20 votes again before the next chapter is posted! sorreeeeey but it helps get my story noticed!