Not as Thick as Blood

"G?" Undyne asked when I stumbled into our cell.

"Yep." I doubled over onto the ground.

She walked over and helped me to my cot. "Sorry punk. At least I know you can take a beating now." I scowled then remembered the wall-punching Undyne from earlier and let it go. "Hmph, he went easy on you. What did he want?"

I coughed, "Wanted to know...mmmph...what you wanted me for. He said you had another...pet?"

Undyne grumbled something under her breath, something about Alphys.

"How is she?" I asked, gasping at the pain.

"Haven't seen her," Undyne muttered unhappily.

"She'll be fine," I assured her.

Undyne crawled into her cot above me and stopped talking. I didn't try to get her to say anything. Instead, I went to sleep thinking about Alphys's med.

I woke up to a guard banging on the door. "Hey!" he yelled at me, "you got visitors." I groaned and sat up. Before I could thing about it, I stretched and walked over to the open cell door.

The guard stood behind me, guiding me to where the visiting center was. I was still stuck in sleep's clingy embrace when the guard shoved me down onto the bench of a table. He chained me to the metal leg and leaned against the wall behind me.

I looked sleepily up at the people in front of me and immediately snapped out of my tiered state. "Chara!" I said brightly. My false tone matched my fake smile.

"Hey Frisk, how are you holding up?" she asked, her tone equally fake.

"I'm fine. How's everyone else?" I asked, referring to my mom and dad, who were sitting with their backs to me, arms crossed.

"They're very disappointed in you." She was reveling in that fact. "You're lucky I got them to come," she said. I wished she hadn't.

"How does everyone treat you?" she asked, hoping for tales of gore and beatings.

"They ignore me mostly. I don't think anyone even knows I'm here," I answered with a false smile.

Chara narrowed her eyes slightly and then recovered. "Oh, that's good."

"What's happening at home?"

"You can hardly call it home now," my mom muttered coldly. I ignored her.

"Oh nothing really," Chara said breezily. "I joined the soccer team."

"That's nice," I muttered sadly. I was going to try out this year. I had always loved soccer as a kid but I was always to shy to try out. This year was going to be my year. I held in a sigh, shutting down all the lost thoughts of what Chara took from me. "Any games?"

"Not yet. The first one is next month. Geez, I really wish you could be there."

"How's Flowey?"

"Oh," her voice waned. "He's...fine, a bit grumpy though. He keep's throwing things at me." I almost laughed. Chara noticed. "I can't feed him until he stop's that."

"Chara! You promised!" I almost yelled.

"Don't ask her to do anything! You don't deserve it," my dad spun around and glared at me.

"He'll die. This isn't his fault." In fact, he tried to prevent it, I though bitterly.

"So, that's your fault." Mom turned around now.

"Mom..." I started. She raised her hand to slap me and I shut up. She glanced up at the guard behind me and thought better of it. He probably would have let her though.

I noticed a small smile playing across Chara's lips. I wanted to get angry but I didn't, for Flowey's sake. "Please?" I begged her, my voice small and frail.

She looked first at Mom and then Dad and realized she could play this. "Sure Frisk. Anything for you," she answered sweetly. I sighed slightly with relief.

"Sweetheart you don't have to," my Mom said, a slight scold in her voice.

"Mom she's my sister. I'd do anything for her," she smiled brightly. Yeah, like throw me in prison, I though but then remembered it was my fault. I should have listened to Flowey.

Someone sat down at the table across from us and I glanced over. It was tall skeleton wearing a red scarf, white shirt, brown blazer, and jeans. He had a kind face and an innocent smile, nothing like G. I looked away.

Both my parent' s were glaring darkly at me. I could see them searching for the right thing to say, something that will cut.

"When do you get out?" my dad asked. I saw the light bulb brighten over his head.

Shrinking back I answered, "Twenty-five years, at least."

He looked down on me. "I can't have this in my house," he muttered as if it would make right what he was about to say. "I'll talk to that lawyer."

"What lawyer?" I asked in fear.

A prisoner sat down at the skeleton's table. I almost gasped when I saw that it was Undyne. She was beaten up, metaphorically and not. She looked tiered and emotionally beat. I could see the bags under her eyes and the slouch in her shoulders. But something had happened after I was taken out. She had several deep cuts on her face and arms. Her wounds weren't dressed and I could see the red muscle under her blue skin/scales.

"Did G Do This?!" the skeleton exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, Papyrus," Undyne muttered.

This all happened in the span of several seconds. I looked back at my parents and notice the wicked smirks everyone in my family was trying to hide. "We're disowning you Frisk." My heart sped up and tears built up behind my eyes.

"But..."

"No buts."

I looked at Chara for help and she decided to play the good girl again. "But Mom! Dad? She' s my sister." Fake tears started to spill down her cheeks.

"Not anymore," my mom said triumphantly. Then she put a hand on Chara's shoulder and stood her up. "Come on sweetheart, why don't we go out to eat? How does Grillby's sound?"

Chara looked once at me, trying to decide if she could get any more brownie points. She decided food was more important. "Okay." She smiled softly, not completely giving up the false attitude.

I clutched my stomach, feeling sick. I wanted to yell, to scream and throw things but I didn't. I didn't run after them, I didn't beg or plead like they probably wanted me to. I felt sick, scared, and even more alone. Even after all the wretched ways they have treated me, I still loved them. I did. but instead of fighting for the family who hated me. I sat on the bench and let them go. I gave up.