Chapter One - Sasha

Chapter One - Sasha

"No. Not happening."

"Sasha, you don't have a choice. You have to go."

I clenched my fists. I was so angry. Before I get to the subject of why I was so angry, let me tell you a little about my life so far. My name is Sasha and I am seventeen years old. I have a twin brother called Connor who is six minutes older than me, a little fact that he never lets me forget. I was currently standing in a hospital room. My mothers hospital room to be exact. My mum discovered that she had breast cancer in her left breast eight years ago. She was able to fight it with her medications and chemo until we found out last year that the cancer had spread to her right breast as well.

My mother started to get weaker and now she stays at the hospital permenently. Both me and Connor left school to get full time jobs so that we could help mum pay for the bills. She wasn't very happy about it but we needed all the help that we could get. She is now about to have a double mastectomy and once she has recovered she will go through more chemo. This is where I started to get angry. You see, with me and Connor still being under eighteen, we still need someone to technically look after us. With our mum being ill there was only one other person she thought we should go to. My father.

The asshole that left us when me and Connor where nine. When mum first found out that she was ill. I didn't always hate him. From what I could remember, he was a great dad. But when we needed him most, he just left. I have hated him ever since. Connor hadn't said a word since mum broke the news to us. I could see how angry he was. I could feel it. But I knew he was trying to be the strong one. For me and for mum.

"I'm. Not. Going. I don't want to even see him, let alone live in the same house as him."

"Please, Sasha. I need to know that you and Connor are being looked after while I'm getting better. It's only a five hour car drive. You can still come down to see me. But he is able to provide for you whereas I cannot right now."

"I know mum. I'm sorry. I am so happy that you are getting the treatment. I really am. But I can't stay with him. I just can't. He left us mum. He just left!"

I broke down then, tears streaming down my face. I felt arms wrap around my waist and knew that Connor was trying to get me to calm down. I continued to cry as he pulled me towards the seat. He sat me down on his lap as he whispered into my ear to calm down. After a couple of minutes I stopped and cuddled closer to my twin.

I knew that if my mum had any other choice she wouldn't do this. She was an only child and her own mother, our grandma, was too busy looking after our grandad. The only other place to go was to my father.

"I'm sorry, baby. If there was another choice I would never send you both to him but we don't."

I nodded. "I know mum. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I know how you feel. But you have to be strong and get through this. It's only until my treatment is over then you can come back. I promise."

I gave my mum a small smile. We spent the next hour talking about our mum's treatment before Connor drove us home. He passed his test six months ago. He wanted to be able to drive so that he could go and see mum whenever he wanted. I passed my test a couple of months later but we decided to share a car considering we went everywhere together.

I spent the car journey home thinking about what my mum said. I have to live with my dad. Me and Connor didn't really have any friends. We preferred to keep to ourselves. But what about our jobs? How we're the bills going to be paid if we don't go to work?