Three - The song of the Blood Moon

The council men and the Datu had already gone away to seek the Khu khu Lam  when Laang had awoken from the same slumber that took his father Datu Sari. He had cried for the royal slave's attendance at once to aid him from his deep sleep.                                                                                                                                                

                 Laang knew what had happened the night before, but had not been there to witness it. The Bakunawa surely had its fill from the goddess moon Bulan. He got up and out of his chamber and looked for his mother Iloy. And when he couldn't find her, called for the slave again.

 "Uripon! Where has my mother the wife of the Datu Sari had gone?" cried Laang.

  "Datu Laang, whose blood is the blood of the gods...

          you're mother Iloy went with your father to seek the Khu khu Lam..

                     how are you troubled my young Datu?"

   "I am not."as he answered.

   "Datu Laang, can I be excused out of the Balay..

           to bury the pork stew your Iloy had cooked for you?

                   I need the pot of the earth those northern traders have.."

"Then be gone quickly for I might need of your attendance! Here is the gold for the traders" oredered he.

     Laang is the first born among three of the royal children lead by his grace Datu Sari ang Daga. He is the first and only son of the Datu. His mother Iloy, who was then held captive by Datu Sari was arranged to have him wed. Laang's birthrite to be the next Datu is unquestionable, his duties that makes him the father of the village is graciously awaited by the village folk and is an insignia that deem the family's seat of power strong as the gods bid it so. But at youth, Laang is supposed to work and earn his favor among the people of the island of Makaraig, and secure his people's faith in the royal family and their Songs.

"Blood of my blood, where has the Uripon gone Laang?" his mother said.

      "Iloy...

               Has the Datu came atlast to visit our balay...

                       and what has the witch of the mountain told us of the Bakunawa?"said he.

"Laang... the Bakunawa has brought us the curse of death and hunger...

                It is time for the blood moon, the fourth of our Bulan's sister

                             our God Bathala might have mercy and deliver us from tragedy"

      Laang pondered on the words his mother Iloy had said to him. The Blood Moon was once familiar to him in his childhood, It was a song the peoples had their babes learned in time of feasts and harvest.