11 - à l'aise

I don't own the idea of mutants. (or anything from Taken. Or Sony!)

Hey everybody :)

      Thanks so much for reading and just as a reminder, the rest of the story will be in 3rd person, unless otherwise noted. Please remember to tell me if you think I should go back and rewrite the previous chapters in 3rd person as well.

 Also, HUGE shout-out to one of my best friends, Hidden124!! :) She was a huge help this chapter, the sweet genius! ;)    Also, check out her story, it's 'supes' good :)

Hope you enjoy!!

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter Eleven

à l'aise

(at ease)

        Violette sipped at her coffee absent-mindedly, idly flipping through the newspaper as she waited for the miracle juice to work its magic. Her heavy-lidded, deep purple eyes were drawn to a headline screaming 'Mutant attacks on the rise'.

        Her eyebrows furrowed in anger as she skimmed through the article. There was no justificatication for the mutants attacking people, of course there wasn't, but it didn't mean all of them were feral freaks with no control as the article implied.

    How about how many 'normal' people had assaulted or killed someone lately? People everywhere were commiting terrible crimes, but the media would greedily pounce on any mutant attacks reported like a starving lion on a baby gazelle, and pin them up so mutants would look like they shouldn't be treated like more than a rabid squirrel.

     What was with people and prejudice? She wondered, peeved, as she wandered over to the sink and willed the water to spray out of the pipes and to clean her dishes. Did they fear mutants, and that was why they acted this way? To have a sense of power, to feel as if superior? They acted as if they weren't even human.

     Three smart knocks were rapped on the front door, and the water splattered on the bottom of the sink when she lost her concentration. A nervous grin brightened her aesthetic features and she snatched her bookbag off the floor next to her chair, flitting to the next room to the door.

    The door couldn't be opened fast enough, and once removed, there stood her own personal angel. "Hey," He said, his grin lighting up his emerald eyes and and accentuating his unimaginably handsome face, before pulling her close and kissing her spiritedly. His hands held her cheeks gently and her arms wrapped around his neck.

     She pulled away at last with a breathless smile. "Hi to you too," she replied, blushing, and he chuckled and slung his arm around her shoulders, guiding her to his car.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      "So, what's the plan for today?" Jake asked her as they walked through the parking lot to their first period, his arm wrapped around her to conserve their warmth and to protect her from at least some of the rain.