Part 5

Percy’s POV

They circled each other, blades raised. “You are so dead, Seaweed Brain.” Taunted Nico. “Bring it on, Zombie Dude!” retorted Percy as their swords clashed. Unfortunately, Nico didn’t spend his time in the Underworld being idle. He’d raised the best dead warriors, heroes, and sparred with them. Percy knew that. Nico smirked, and faked a swing to his left. Percy dodged it easily and swung Riptide just in time to block Nico's Stygian blade. He tried to kick Percy's feet from under him, but Percy leaped nimbly backwards, and tried to knock Nico out using Riptide's hilt which would've caused him a concussion, had Nico not blocked it quickly. Man, Nico was good. Almost as good as he was. He slashed furiously with his sword like a devil, radiating death. But Percy's ADHD kicked in, and everything seemed to slow down, he could anticipate Nico's attacks, but only just. Nico kept stabbing, slashing, occasionally jabbing at Percy's lowered guard. Percy didn't know where he learned to fight like that. Maybe during his stay at Camp Jupiter? Maybe in the Underworld? Percy didn't know, only that Nico's fighting style was different. 

Nico's POV

Nico could see the campers watching in awe through his peripheral vision. Time slowed down between the two fighters, but to the onlookers, they were probably just a blur of bronze and black. Percy was tiring quickly, he could see that. He faked another swipe to Percy's left, then while his right side was unguarded, struck it with the flat of his sword. Percy stumbled, but didn't fall. Nico took advantage of this and tried to kick Percy's feet out from under him again, and this time Percy fell flat on his podex.

Percy’s POV

The black and bronze blur stopped, and a few onlookers whistled appreciatively at the scene before them; Nico’s nightmare-ish sword was only a few inches away from Percy’s chest. Percy was on the ground. They were both breathing heavily. Percy looked dazed and surprised; no camper except for Luke Castellan had ever beaten him in a sword fight before. Nico smirked again and offered Percy his hand, which he accepted gladly. He helped him stand up, and Percy looked at the other boy. His raven hair tousled, aviator’s jacket slung on one shoulder. He didn’t even break a sweat, though his pale cheeks were slightly flushed. His eyes were lowered, lashes brushing his cheeks slightly. How come Percy never noticed how long his lashes were?

Nico’s POV

Nico looked up to see Percy’s gorgeous sea-green eyes staring at him with a kind of wonder. He flushed even darker and looked down again, only to turn a garish cherry-red complexion as he saw that their hands were still entwined. Somebody in the crowd coughed pointedly, and Percy, who had turned almost the exact shade of red as Nico, let go. “Um, sorry.” Said Percy. “You, um, did great, Nico! I’ll... see you later. Bye.” He ran out of the arena, with Nico’s eyes following him as he left. “Great?! You just beat Percy Jackson! The greatest sword fighter in camp, next to Luke Castellan! And you beat him! Nice, dude!” exclaimed Will Solace as he clapped him on the back. “Uh, thanks. I’ll see you guys later.” And with that, Nico raced out of the arena, and headed to the quiet safety of his cabin, where there’d be no more activities, no more sunlight, and no more stupid, attractive sons of sea gods.

Little did he know, he was wrong about the last part.

Percy’s POV

Stupid, stupid, stupid. He mentally cursed himself for allowing what had happened between them. He hadn’t realized he he’d been staring at Nico’s raven hair, ivory skin, and warm, chocolate brown eyes. Wait, WHAT? Okay, he needed to stop this. But a pestering voice kept whispering in his head the question he badly wanted an answer to: Do you like him? Yes? No? Maybe? He wasn’t sure. Wasn’t sure of anything. Except... he needed to talk to Nico. As soon as possible. He stood up and headed for Cabin 13.

Nico’s POV

He finally arrived at the cabin, its gloomy atmosphere comforting him. Yet something was wrong. He was pretty sure he hadn’t left the door ajar when he had gone to do activities with Percy. Percy... his heart fluttered when he saw the son of the sea god staring at him, as if he were one of the wonders of the world. No, he shook his head. He couldn’t think of that now. There was an intruder in his cabin, and he was going to make him pay. He entered silently, and swung his sword around. Huh. Nobody here, he thought. He sat down on his bed... and a small moan emitted from the other side. Nico screamed bloody murder (which wasn’t like him) and drew his sword. “Show yourself!” he snarled. “Ow” said Percy, rubbing his head ruefully. “That’s the second time I’ve bumped my head today” he muttered. “What the hell were you doing in here?” asked Nico. “I was waiting for you. I wanted to talk to you, but I fell asleep out of exhaustion. Sorry. Been a rough day.” Percy said with a smile that made Nico forgive him instantly. “What did you want to talk about?” Nico asked, leaning against the wall. “Um, you know how it is when a-a person likes someone, and-and-“Percy stuttered. “Yes?” Nico asked innocently. “Well, I-I wanted you to know that I’ve moved on from Annabeth, and I-uh, thought maybe that, um, that shouldn’t keep me from loving anyone else, so-” Percy was interrupted by the dinner horn. They both jumped. “What was it?” asked Nico. “Maybe, um, later. Bye.” He caressed Nico’s cheek and ran out of the cabin.