Chapter One: Better to be Alone then to Feel Alone

"It is better to be alone, then being with someone who makes you feel alone."

Ryo Bakura sat at his school desk in his homeroom at Domino City High School. He looked out the window, not paying any attention to the lesson his teacher was giving. He had been doing this lately. Not paying attention to his classes, but instead looking out the window on the second floor of the school. His grades were steady thanks to his friend Yugi Muto, who had been noticing that his good friend was starting to act strange for the past couple of weeks.

As Ryo continued to look out the classroom window the once clear blue skies started to turn black and gray. Light rumbles of rolling thunder echoed from far out in the distance and quick flashes of lightning flashed through the skies. Ryo let out a heavy sigh as he remembered that he had put clothes out on the line to dry that morning.

"Oh, darn it!" Ryo placed his head on his desk with frustration. "I have clothes hanging up outside on the balcony. With mom and dad both not home there's no one to bring them in."

Ryo looked at the classroom clock. The school day was almost over but it seemed to be dragging on forever. If the storm would just hold off just a little bit longer, he would be able to get home in time to gab his laundry from the clothesline before the rainfall.

The seconds slowly ticked by for the remaining fifteen minutes of the school day. Ryo started to lightly drum his thin, white fingers on his desk in boredom. When the school bell finally rand, Ryo quickly jumped up from his desk, gathered up his things and then started to quickly make his way out of the classroom to head home before the rain started to fall. He only stopped once when he heard a familiar voice call his name.

"Hey, Bakura! What up for a second!" Ryo turned to see Yugi Muto making his way toward him. Following behind Yugi were Joey Wheeler, Tristan Taylor and Téa Gardner.

"Yugi-kun? Can we walk and talk? I have clothes out on the line at home and it's about to rain, so I can't hang around. Sorry."

"It's fine Bakura."

The five friends made their way quickly to the locker area where everyone kept their things. Ryo pulled out a folded-up umbrella and his everyday shoes. Quickly he took off the shoes everyone had to wear in the school and placed them in his locker. While standing at the lockers Yugi found it to be a more proper time to talk with Ryo.

"So Bakura, the gang and I were thinking about going to the movies tomorrow since there's no school, and we were wondering if you wanted to come with us."

"Really? I can come along too?" Ryo asked but tries not sound so surprised.

"Yeah, you're a fun guy to hang with Bakura! So, what do you say? Will you come?" Joey wrapped his arm around Ryo's shoulder, almost knocking him over.

Ryo looked at his fellow classmates with a look of shock and happiness mixed together. This group of friends always did things together while Ryo was on the sidelines or his other self-decided to take him over and take his body for a joyride. It would be nice to just have a day where he didn't have to worry about things like that.

With a smile, Ryo gladly accepted Yugi's offer.

"Thank you Yugi-kun for inviting me to the movies. I'd be glad to come with you guys."

With the decision now made for Ryo to go to the movies with his friends Joey tightened his grip around Ryo's neck. Laughter filled the small area where the lockers stood, but not all the laughter was that of happiness. There was a loud rumble of thunder that everyone jumped from the inside out. Ryo quickly said his good-byes to his friends before rushing to get home before the rain started to fall.