Chapter 4

All Rights Reserved ©2012

Revised Chapter

READ AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 4

Somebody is watching me, I thought as I was walking back to my cottage. The chirping birds were gone and only the silence of the breeze ruffling the leaves sounded in the forest. I slowed down, careful to make my steps light as a feather, and started whistling a repetitive tune so that I wouldn't alert whoever is watching me.

I breathed in slow, trying to look for any scent that is different from the smell of the animals that live in the fores. Why is there nothing? I drew in a deep breath again, and only smelling the fresh breeze and plants.

Nobody in this pack can cover their scent like I do, I would know from years of keeping an eye on them like a vulture waiting for the right time to strike. So who could be watching me right now? But as minutes passed of being tense and readying myself in case of an attack, I wondered if it was only my imagination.

With nothing in the air but the scent of spring and the wild, I quickened my steps hoping that once I get in the safety of my cottage, this feeling of somebody watching me would go away. But as I got in and closed the door behind me softly, the feeling didn't dissipate. Instead, now I am completely sure somebody is watching me.

A low growl rumbled in my chest at the annoyance of being stalked like I was a common prey built up. Whoever this person is, I didn't care. I already decided that I will be leaving after tonight and if somebody attacks me right now, I sure as hell won't hold back. Let them find out who I really am, then I can leave this hellhole all the faster.

As I opened the door and went outside, my skin prickled as I felt the first stirrings of the shift coming on. But I held on, willing with my all to not shift yet because I didn't want to pull the trigger and jump the gun without knowing who the enemy is,

"Somebody is here," said a familiar voice from beside me. My head snapped to look at the person who just spoke as I jumped away, ready to fight whoever it is when I realized it was only Tate.

I breathed a sigh of relief and turned back to look at the forest, continuing to watch for whoever it is hiding in the thick of it. Wait, what? My eyes widened as I turned back to look at Tate who was beside me. His whole body tense and alert for whoever was watching us.

"What are you doing here?" came out of my mouth before I could stop it. Last I saw him, he was leaving the meeting with his arms around Trisha.

He didn't look at me as he raised his eyebrow and continued watching for whoever it was. This guy...A vein appeared on my forehead in anger and I felt the ripple of my skin changing. Thankfully, I didn't change into a wolf in the few seconds due to pure strength of will alone even though I wanted to attack this conceited, confusing guy.

A few tense minutes passed until the feeling of watchful eyes disappeared. Just measuring the enemy, is it? Or were whoever it is disappointed that somebody was here beside me? Knowing that it wasn't just a figment of my imagination, I realized then that it wasn't part of the Alcatrozz pack because Tate would have known for sure who it was. Additionally, they would have appeared in peace once they knew that Tate was here. They wouldn't have wanted to anger somebody more dominant than they are, lest they be punished. And frankly, Tate is growing more and more powerful each passing day that he can usurp his father's position any time he wanted to.

Which means that Tate is the most powerful wolf in the Alcatrozz pack and whoever was hiding in the forest couldn't possibly be a wolf we know. Then could it have been a rogue? Had they enjoyed killing the Reons that they left to go attack the nearest pack—Alcatrozz?