Chapter 3

All Rights Reserved ©2012

Revised Chapter

READ AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 3

I would have loved to say hours passed after my heart and expectations were destroyed and I had been mooning around, trying to rebuild myself together. Maybe if I was the heroine in some cheesy book then that's probably what I'd be doing. But I'm not that lucky. As soon as the couple pranced off to their ever after with his friends following suit, Elizabeth came and tore me a new one for taking a long time cooking because she still had a lot of errands for me.

So I trudged off with a heavy heart I tried to ignore and carried the food I made outside. My eyebrows raised in surprise when I saw that there were humans already setting the backyard into a themed soiree. White flowers were placed in the middle of the black velvet covered tables, emphasizing the glossy silverware.

A makeshift stage was set at the far end of the yard, designed with black velvet curtains interlaced thin ribbons of white lace. And in bright silver cutouts were the words Better with Two on a string in the middle of the curtain.

Decorating the center of the yard was a huge statue of two wolves leaning towards each other with closed eyes. Even from far away I could see the finite detail and heart put into shaping art like this. The pure unadulterated love that these two wolves have is so obvious that I couldn't help imagining for a second that one wolf is as dark as the night and the other as bright as daylight. Me and him.

A finger snapped me out of my daydream. "Are you gonna stand there or are you going to help with the setting up?" Elizabeth's green eyes looked disapprovingly at me before glancing a few times at the two huge trays of food I had in my arms.

My head moved in accord to the direction of the people setting up and I said without talking, "Didn't look like you need more help?"

Elizabeth raised her hand, getting ready to slap me silly like she always does when I don't act the way she wants me to, when she stopped and closed her eyes. She took deep breaths for a few seconds before opening it, putting her hand down to her sides, and looking visibly calmer than before. Her following words were vibrating with anger as she bit out, "Be glad I don't have time for this today otherwise you would be begging for mercy now."

I lowered my head, looking and exuding the scent of being afraid for her to think that her threats worked. Years of death threats and intimidation has taught me how to hide and fake my emotions. If I hadn't learned from the first few years of almost being killed because I wasn't afraid of their silly little threats, knowing without fail that I will be able to survive anything they throw at me. Maybe it's false confidence that will harm me in the future, but there's this warm comforting knowledge that I wouldn't die in their hands—no matter how worse the beatings got. I always bounce back.

When Elizabeth nodded her head for me to get away from her sight, I headed towards the banquet tables, comforted by the knowledge that I won't be here forever. These guys will know who I am in the future and they will regret everything they ever did to me, I thought, feeling the subtle shift of my skin to turn into a wolf because of the ice cold fury I was feeling. But I breathe deeper as I set the food and went back to the kitchen to grab the rest. Don't let your fury control you, I thought¸ they're not worth it.

Getting into the rhythm of setting the food, I felt the subtle shift of my skin come to a stop and the fierce fury I felt went back deep into the cave of emotions I keep hidden, to wait until the time is right.