Aragorn POV

I walked around the banquet hall, greeting many guards and friends. I spoke with Eowyn and Faramir, Eomer, Gandalf, the hobbits, Gimli, and Legolas. Most of my time was spent with Elrond. We talked for a long time, catching up and discussing the events that had taken place over the past few months.

I smiled slightly whenever I saw (y/n) dancing. Throughout the evening, she danced with Eowyn, Eomer, the hobbits, and Legolas. Gimli was too drunk to dance with. After a while, I glanced around the hall. (y/n) was nowhere to be seen.

"You seem distracted, Estel," Elrond said, gaining my attention. "I take it you are looking for (y/n)." I nodded slightly. "She slipped out. I saw her leave not long ago."

"She does not seem to be one for parties," I said with a chuckle. "She left early during the feast at Rohan as well."

"She has a lot on her mind." I looked at him, slightly confused. "She was shocked when I told her of Arwen's departure. She had not been expecting it."

I nodded.

"If you will excuse me, hîr vuin (my lord), I believe I shall go and find her. She could probably use the company."

"I'm sure she could. Na lû e-govaned vîn (until next we meet)."

I bowed slightly to him before slipping away and making my way towards the doors of the banquet hall. I looked around, searching for (y/n). I smiled slightly when I spotted her at the end of the courtyard. I made my way over to her. When I was a few yards away, I spoke.

"Are you not much of a celebration person?" I asked with a chuckle.

(y/n) looked at me from over her shoulder. She smiled and chuckled.

"Parties were never really my thing back home."

"Even when celebrating such a victory?"

She shrugged as I stood beside her. She looked up at the sky, sighing.

"I used to do this all the time back home. I would come outside in the middle of the night to look at the stars. They always interested me. I would study the stars, trying to find different images within them. It was probably one of my favorite things to do."

She smiled as she looked at the sky, looking at the stars. I studied her for a minute before speaking.

"Something troubles you," I said. "What is it?"

"I'm not truly sure," she sighed. "Maybe the fact that I don't know what's to happen next? Through this whole journey, I've known the path of everything that was to happen, but now, I'm blind to the future."

"Sometimes that is good though, yes? It leaves surprises in life."

"I guess. I'm also confused. This story did not end the way I expected it to. I don't know how to respond to it."

"Would you be able to tell me how you know this tale to end?" I asked. "I am curious." She did not speak for a minute. "(y/n)?"

"It's about Arwen," she said quietly. "She was supposed to be at the coronation." I looked at her curiously as she put her hands on the railing. "She was to be here in Gondor with Elrond. Instead, she left for the Undying Lands. I don't know why. She was supposed to stay here."

"Sometimes things do not work out the way we plan. She had her reasons for leaving Middle Earth."

"I know."

After a minute, I spoke again.

"Why exactly was she to be here?"

"You two are in love. In my world, she ended up being your queen. When you looked into the Palantir, Sauron showed you an illusion of her dying. She was the one that kept you going."

"(y/n)." I took her hand and turned her to face me. "Like I said before, sometimes things do not go as planned. You said that in your world, when I looked into the Palantir, I saw Arwen. This was not the case."

"What?"

"Sauron showed me you. He showed me was could have happened if you went with us to the Black Gate. I saw you dead on the battlefield, dressed in Gondorian armor. I did not want to see that come true. That is why I had you stay. You are the reason I kept fighting and never lost hope, because I knew I had you to point me back in the right direction." (y/n) stared at me. I smiled gently at her. "I have realized, (y/n), that throughout this quest, you have been there for me. I have grown fond of you, (y/n)."

I pulled her closer and placed a soft kiss on her lips. I pulled back slightly and looked into her eyes.

"I have realized that I love you, (y/n)," I said quietly.

She smiled and kissed me.

"Gi melin (I love you)," she whispered.

"You know elvish?" I chuckled.

"Very little. Legolas was surprised when I sang along with you during the coronation."

"Maybe I can teach you sometime."

"That would be nice."

She leant in for another kiss. I gladly accepted. A minute later, fireworks were going off over Gondor. (y/n) chuckled, glancing behind us.

"You sure are something," she said with a laugh.

I followed her gaze and saw Gandalf walking towards us. He laughed as he stood a few feet away from us.

"I'm glad you think so, (y/n)," he chuckled. He paused. "I have a question for you, my dear. I believe I have found a way to return you to your home. The quest is now over and, if you so wish, I can send you back."

I looked down at (y/n). She seemed to think for a moment before smiling.

"I believe I will stay here, Gandalf," she told him. "I have found a place where I belong."

The wizard chuckled and nodded.

"I thought you would say that. In that case," he bowed slightly to us, "good evening, your majesties."

Gandalf turned and headed back towards the banquet hall. I looked back at (y/n) with a smile.

"I am glad you are staying," I said.

"I've found a few reasons to stay," she replied. "One being that I get to stay with my favorite character."

"I was the favorite character of your story?"

She placed a quick kiss on my lips before pulling away.

"Possibly," she said with a smirk.

I chuckled and kissed her again, holding her close to me.