Wine Stained

Luke's Pov

I stared hopelessly at the empty living room of my brand-new apartment. Id been here two days now and the only thing Id managed to unpack were my toiletries, blankets, my laptop, and a few news articles I acquired for helping me to find a job.

My friend David had recommended this place that I had made a point to highlight in the paper. It was a small publishing business which I figured would be the perfect starting place for my future career as a journalist.

I made a call to the company the day before and actually managed to schedule an interview which I was excited about. Once I got the job, I could start getting paid and maybe I'd be able to pay the rent on this thing without having to get a roommate.

"Don't stop the lo..." My phone began to buzz on the barstool seat I had placed near the open counter. For a while, I just set there watching it but, the song finally started to get annoying.

"Yo."

"Heyy Lucas! It's David."

"I know." I sighed irritated. "What do you need?"

"After you get your job, you should swing by my club. Tonights is gentleman's night."

"Which is?"

"You pay for a pretty girl to get in." he chuckled.

"Man, David I really can't. I mean, I just paid the down payment on my place, I lucked out getting first months rent free. I still gotta pay for uber to even get to the interview and back."

"You need to chill. Don't worry, ill let you in and don't trip about the uber. You come, and ill reimburse you. No probs."

"I don't know man.."

"Look, ill just send a ride. 10 o'clock sharp?"

"Hol-,"

"Great! I'll see you then!"

A few seconds of electric tapping before the line went completely dead.

"Just great" I sighed.

♣             ♠              ♣

The ride to the building wasn't as long as I thought it would be. I actually realized that biking there wouldn't be a problem at all, besides, it would be a great work out.  I headed inside confidently walking up to the receptionist who sat at her desk glued to a book.

"Hello?"

She jumped up clearly startled, fixing her glasses and adjusting her shirt.

"Hi there. And who are you here to see?"

"Um," I pulled out my phone searching for the digital application Id turned in the day before. "A mister Carl Smith?"

"Oh alright. Mister Smith." she turned to her desktop then made a quick call. "Your name?"

"Lucas James."

"Yes, Mr. Smith there's a Lucas James here to see you."

I stood there looking around. It was a small building, plain as well. The white walls reminded me of a hospital lobby. They were decorated with pictures of homes and nature like something You'd see in some kind of waiting room. The floor was tiled with the most generic, plain, stale white tile I'd ever seen. I wonder how anyone managed any creativity in this place.

"He'll see you now. Third floor, second room on the right."

"Thank you."

I headed up the stairs rather than using the elevator in order to remember what I had planned to say at the start of the interview. I wanted to keep it simple, yet informative. I wanted to show him I was organized and yet had the mind of a pure creator. These are the qualities I hoped would get me the job.

♣             ♠              ♣

I sat in David's club absolutely stunned at the way my day had gone. The whole of my spirit was crushed completely.

"So.. Paper organizer?" David laughed hysterically.

"Yep. A load of bullshit."

"But you still took the offer?"

"Something's gotta pay the bills."

"Yeah but That's gotta be an ass shot to your self-esteem am I right?"

"Could've been worse. He could've been talented himself and told me I have none."

We both laughed at that sly remark.

"Well, Lucas James official paper organizer. Doesn't sound that bad? It kinda has a nice ring to it."

"Fuck you." I chuckled

"Look, don't worry about it for the rest of the night. Have a drink or two or five." he laughed "meet a pretty lady. Take someone's girl home, enjoy your night."

"Thanks, man."

"Yo, what are friends for?"

I smiled, walking off with a few shot glasses. I was actually happy to have a night to myself to get drunk and possibly layed.

As I walked towards the dance floor, I caught sight of a beautiful blonde. She wore a short bodycon red dress and a pair of high stilettos. Her hair was curled and swayed as she moved her hips.  She was dressed to impressed and I was very impressed. So impressed that I couldn't take my eyes off of her and to my luck, it looked like she's noticed me too. With a confident wink and hand gesture, she motioned me over to her and without looking, I moved forward in a quick motion causing me to bump into someone spilling my drink all over them.

"WHAT THE HELL!" a feminine voice shrieked. I looked ahead seeing the victim of my clumsiness. She was a pretty woman with long black waves and piercing dark eyes. Her face was scrunched up in anger as she stared at her now stained white dress. I felt bad but was also pretty drunk.

"Are you Fucking kidding me?" She looked up at me disgusted.

"I'm so sorry. I really didn't see you." 

"Maybe, pay attention when you're walking in a crowded club? Asshole."

"Hey, I said I'm sorry," I made a motion to help.

"Save it!" she put her hands up rejecting my gesture entirely.

"Fine." I walked away embarrassed but also too drunk to give too many fucks.

Chapter 1! I hope you enjoyed it! Comment, share, vote!