Chapter 4: High

"You're Agatha Calverley, right? Adrianne Calverley's little sister?"

"Uh. Yes."

I was inside the Principal's office with the three guys who picked a fight with Steven. It was such a bright room, the light from outside was shining right into the white walls and bounced back, illuminating everything inside. My eyes wanted to squint but I didn't want to look like I was frowning, I didn't want to look as if I was disrespecting this authority figure in front of us. But I could not take it, my brows eventually met.

"I would expect a lot better from the sister of last year's consistent honor student." The principal told me with a displeased look on her face.

"I was just protecting my friend, that's all." I sighed. I feel like I'm being treated like a criminal.

"Yes, but you beat his face into a pulp." the principal pointed at the jock's face. "Explain that."

"Well, he was attacking my friend. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing."

"Mr. Cortez said he was provoked by Mr. Steven Ross, I will have him in come in when he's done with the school nurse." she said. The jock's name was apparently Henry Cortez. I only knew him by his face, I never knew his name. He's a year below us but he respects no one. "Mr. Cortez, you can now proceed to the clinic as well to get that bleeding stopped. Come back to my office after." the principal signaled the three guys to get out of the room.

            The three guys exited, ashamed to have been brought down by a girl like me. I can't believe all of that just happened. I remember getting enraged but I didn't expect I would actually beat them up. Henry's face was horrible to look at. Should I feel shameful or delighted? I admit, I was into the latter. I suddenly feel like I'm a superhero protecting the weak or something. Feeling this bad never felt so good. They scowled at me right before they went out. The door shut and it was just me and Mrs. Austin, the principal. She cleaned her glasses and stood up, I remained still and fastened to my seat.

"Your sister was a good student." she said. Here we go again with Adrianne. I thought when she left, I'd never have to deal with this kind of conversation again. "I think she was one of our best students here in Bomhoff. You seem to be the very opposite of her. This kind of behavior, Ms. Calverley will not go unpunished. I will call your parents and put you on school cleaning duty; since this is your first offense."

"Yes ma'am." I obliged. Like I had a choice.

"You may leave. Send the next person in."

I stepped out of her office and my eyes had to adjust a little bit because it wasn't intensely bright anymore. I looked at the waiting area where students are called for quality time with the principal. I saw a guy with messy, semi-long hair and gray eyes. His facial hair unshaved, but not bushy; more like a macho stubble. He wore a black leather jacket, baggy pants and worn out, black sneakers. He looked rugged and unkempt. The kind of guy who must get sent to detention a lot. He seemed like a trouble maker. Why else would he be summoned here? I thought.

"You're up." I said.

"Nice." He said.

"Yeah, it's a joy to get to meet the principal."

"No, I mean what you did in the cafeteria. It was nice."

I was stunned to hear him say that. I know that was a compliment; it sounded like one. Did he think what I did was good and justifiable? Or was he just entertained of what I did?