Prologue

I hate my sister. I hate being constantly compared to her. People keep on talking about how beautiful she is, how smart she is and how good she is with socializing. My parents never fail to mention her achievements to their friends, as if she was some type of trophy daughter. 

        She graduated with honors, was prom queen during high school and is a complete headturner. She had long brown hair that looked perfect even without brushing it. Her eyes were vivid green and she had a piercing stare; the kind that looks at you and you feel this overpowering aura and yet it's very serene. Almost like she was a majestic celestial being. She had many suitors and the house was filled with gifts every Valentine's Day. Suprisingly, she's actually very smart and always got A's at school. People have a hard time believing her IQ is above average because she was too beautiful. She glides effortlessly in crowds, she was everyone's friend. They all loved her. All the while I was sitting on the sidelines, forgotten; covered by the shadow of my older sister, Adrianne. I think my parents forgot they had another daughter; I never get as much love and attention as her. People sometimes doubt if we're really related; sometimes I doubt if we're related.

        Surely, someone who sounds so superb can't have flaws, right? Absolutely wrong. Nobody can be that perfect! As her sister, I have seen all of her faults and misses. She's secretly vain, she takes hours to get ready and always fusses about what she looks like. Every mirror or glass she encounters, she casually glances to check her reflection; maybe take a look more than once. She acquires self-confidence through other people's compliments, but in reality she's insecure. She'd die of shame if people saw her not being ideal. She's also very indecisive, I sometimes have to help her decide on a few things but she'd always go with what seems to please people around her. She's a shopaholic and spends way too much on shoes. She has hundreds of pairs of shoes, none of which I can borrow, given the fact that we have different shoe sizes. One time, when my sister didn't have her car yet; my mom had to pick her up at a mall because she didn't have any money left for commute because she spent all of her money on an outfit and a new pair of shoes. As for relationships, she always puts the guy first and she'd always end up getting hurt. And I have to tell you, she dates a lot of douchebags. 

        As much as I hate her, she's still my sister; so I kind of feel bad for her. But how I wish life would stop revolving around her. How I long to be noticed as my own rather than being identified as "Adrianne's little sister." I wish I can do something remarkable to be known; perhaps I'm good at something and I didn't even know it? Or maybe I'm a late bloomer and I have yet to shine, like a pupa waiting to be a butterfly. Well whatever it is, it's taking too long. My life is boring and I'm always unlucky. I screw everything up. I'm tired of constantly hearing "Why can't you be more like your sister, Agatha?"