xvii. stay safe

seventeen

seventeen. stay safe

FLORENCE FOUND THE communications headquarters after a few minutes of aggressive questioning. The knowledge that she was powerful enough to use her powers in such a violent way made her skin tremble with adrenaline. She felt powerful. She felt like she was on top of the world. 

Running through the halls remained the trickiest challenge for Florence. She avoided busy halls and did her best to weave her way through the empty passageways, but it did not take long before she saw a door with strange alien symbols on it. 

With a click, she grasped the handle and pushed the door open. 

The room was small and interestingly enough, the only room that looked relatively human. The computers, displaying the strangest symbols and images, were touch-screen and had confusing buttons, but it looked like a desk full of normal computer monitors and keyboards. 

But standing in the center of the room were two Kraang droids. They seemed to be in a pointless conversation that Florence interrupted by ripping the fire hydrant off of the wall and beating one upside the head with it. 

Its head was cleanly lopped off, causing it to fall to the floor and begin seizing from the faulty wiring. The other Kraang droid reached for the large red button on the computer, but Florence stopped him with a wave of her wrist. She reached her arm forward and swat her wrist to the side. The Kraang froze, desperately trying to fight against the force that held him back. 

With a sharp yell, Florence squeezed her fist and the droid began to crumple as though it was nothing but a ball of paper. Its armor crinkled and bent and in a few seconds, the pink Kraang within the suit was silenced. 

Florence shut the door with a lazy sway of her wrist. It slammed shut and locked on its own. She then turned to the computer and exhaled a shaky breath. 

While Florence knew much about biology and chemistry, she knew nothing about the schematics of an alien computer. 

Yet that little disadvantage did not stop Florence from repeatedly pressing button after button, careful to avoid the large red one that the Kraang had tried pressing earlier. With an accidental click, a screen popped up and much to her relief, it was a map of the building.  

Florence's stomach dropped. Bile rushed up her throat and stung her tongue, causing her to look away and shut her eyes tightly. 

Florence was under TCRI, the one building that Donnie and his brothers had promised her to stay away from. Florence could remember the horrors that Donnie told her in his detailed explanation of the Kraang. She remembered him talking about the mutation experiments and the old alliance with the Shredder.