Chapter Ten

Once John had angrily hauled their hurriedly packed bags out of the house, they walked silently to the near-by train station. John bought tickets for the next train to Sherlock's parent's town. He lugged their bags beside a bench, that he flopped down upon, almost aggressively. Sherlock frowned down at him. It was dark and empty on the platform, and he reached down to gently kiss the top of John's head. 

''I'm just going to call my Mum and tell her we're coming early, okay?'' Sherlock asked in a soft voice, hiding his own wariness. John looked up at him and nodded silently. Sherlock swallowed and ran a hand through John's hair, before pulling away and taking out his phone. He stood a good few paces from John so he wouldn't overhear their conversation. He held the phone to his ear and waited for his mother to answer her phone. 

''Sherlock?'' she asked, voice drenched in disbelief. ''Are we doing Christmas phone-calls now?''

''Mum, I'm coming home a few days early. I'm taking the next train.''

She was silent for a moment. ''Well, that's wonderful dear, but why?''

''I'm bringing my boyfriend with me, and I-''

''Boyfriend?!'' she exclaimed loudly. ''You've got a boyfriend?'' her voice was happy.

''Yes,'' Sherlock hissed, dropping his voice. ''And, I'd appreciate it if you would dilute your delight because me and my boyfriend John have just been kicked out of his homophobic parent's house. He's really not happy, and-and I'm not quite sure what to do, so we're coming to you early.''

Again, she went quiet. ''Oh, dear. Dear, I'm so sorry. You come on over here for as long as you need, and bring your boyfriend too.''

Sherlock nodded, relaxing a little. ''Thank you. I just...I didn't know what to do and John is-''

''It'll be fine, Sherlock. I'm sure John is lovely, and I'll tell Mycroft and your father not to stare or make any inappropriate comments.''

''Thank you. Now, I need to get back to John.''

''Alright, I'll set up your room for you two, okay?''

''Okay. Bye, Mum.'' Sherlock hung up and sighed as he pocketed his phone. He sat down by John and buried his hands in his pockets, hand clutched around his phone. ''John...''

John lifted his head, looking to Sherlock. ''That was really brave, what you said.'' John said, eyes gazing over his boyfriend's face. 

Sherlock shook his head and looked down, sliding down in his seat a bit. ''No, it was inappropriate. I shouldn't have said a thing.''

John shook his head, leaning forward to try and see Sherlock's face more clearly. ''Sherlock, it was...the best way I could've told them. And, I feel a lot better knowing that they got to like you before they found out what we are. Cause...Now they know that, no matter how hard they try to deny it, we're just a normal couple. We're just as normal as the couple with a man and a woman.''

Sherlock lifted his gaze to see John, he smiled briefly, but he still looked troubled. ''But, if I hadn't said anything, you'd be spending Christmas day with your parents. No, I...'' he looked across the platform. ''I messed up.'' 

John sighed and let him be, knowing that Sherlock wouldn't allow him to win any argument. And, right now, John didn't want to argue. He wanted to pride in the fact that Sherlock was his. He had been too late in flaunting his wonderful partner, so he was determined to show his admiration from now on.

John snuggled close to Sherlock, wrapping his arms around Sherlock's bicep and holding against his arm like a teddy-bear. He kissed Sherlock's shoulder, before laying his head there. It went quiet for a little while, the only sound came from the rattling hum of trains stationed, and a soft sound of trees rustling in the night's chilly breeze. John licked his lips and lightly tapped out 'H-E-L-L-O' in Morse code onto Sherlock's arm. He was sure Sherlock would understand, he was the type of person who would. Sherlock paused, and cocked his head to the side, before smiling a little. He looked down to John. ''Hello.'' he said softly.

John kept his head down as he took a moment before continuing his message. He felt a little nervous, but he forced himself to go on. Sherlock stared down at the top of John's head expectantly. ''Yes?'' he asked, noticing a hesitance in John's movements. John shook his head and Sherlock let it go, turning his gaze back to the boring, brick walls. 

''I love you.'' John tapped out onto Sherlock's arms carefully. Sherlock blinked a little, then turned his gaze back to John. The older of the two had hidden his face in Sherlock's shoulder, suddenly afraid even though Sherlock had said the same only hours before. 

''Hey, look at me.'' Sherlock said softly, smiling to himself. He brushed his thumb across John's cheek. ''Let me see that pretty face.'' he cooed.

John blushed and lifted his head to look up at Sherlock. Sherlock smiled at him, cupped his cheek, before kissing him softly. John couldn't help but smile and he shifted even closer, into Sherlock's welcoming, warm and ready arms.

Sherlock laughed a little and pulled back. ''See, that wasn't so hard to say. I don't know why I avoided it.''

''Neither do I.'' John admitted with a sheepish smile. He kissed Sherlock's cheek, then nuzzled against his neck. ''I love you, Sherlock.'' he said out loud this time, smiling at the happiness it brought him to finally say it. 

Sherlock grinned and hugged him tight. ''I love you too, John.'' He gave a little triumphant smile for himself and shut his eyes, waiting for the train.