Chapter One: Falling Through

Copyright © 2012.

All rights reserved to me. This story is dedicated to an amazing wattpad writer StormAngel963, who wrote an amazing story called My Highland Home which inspired me to write this story. Originally it was titled The American Teen and the Highlander...but that was a mouth full. So I present Hannah and the Highlander, happy reading.

Chapter One: Falling Through

@Hannah's P.O.V.@

This was NOT how I imagined I'd be spending my summer break. I had imagined, you know, sandy beaches, smoking hot cabaña boys, and all the sweet, fruity drinks I wanted. What I hadn't pictured were sheep. Lots and lots of freaking sheep. Instead of being in the Bahamas with my friends; I was with my parents crammed into a clown car, waiting for a herd of sheep to move their woolly arses. I checked my phone again. No signal at all. I tossed it unforgivingly on the seat, staring out at the huge, never ending landscape of rolling green hills.

I. Hated. Scotland. When my parents had brought up the whole proposition of us all going to Europe for four weeks, I had been bouncing with excitement. When you hear 'Europe' you think of places like France, and Italy, and even England right? Not Scotland. My parents were loving it though. My dad was nose deep in a rode map, while my mom was prattling off random 'facinating' facts about the countrys' 'decorated' history.

" ' . . . and by 430 A.D. the Romans had also evacuated Britain south of Hardian's Wall, leaving the inhabitants . . . ' "

I banged my head against the window, trying to drown out her voice. Kill. Me. Now.

"Dad, can't you do something?" I begged. "This is ridiculous. We have been sitting here for almost an hour-think of the battery and the gas!"

Dad pulled his face away from the map, looking from me, to the gas gage, to the sheep. For one brief, beautiful moment I felt a surge of hope-and then he turned the car off.

"Thank god you pointed that out, honey." he said. "We could have gotten in trouble."

Did God hate me? Did I kick a puppy on accident? Was it from the time when I kissed Zane Russet behind Amanda's back? He hadn't even liked her! I didn't even like her-she was a friend of a friend! Come on, lord please! I sighed, thrusting the car door open, and made the mad struggle to get out of the tiny car. Mom turned around to stare at me in confusion.

"Sweetie, what are you doing?"

"I can't stand another minute in this thing!" I huffed as I fought my way out of the vehicle, and onto my feet.

My body felt stiff, standing felt like heaven. I stretched my arms above my head, twisting from side to side.

Ahh, so much better, I thought blissfully. I took that moment to get a really good look at the Scottish country side. There were nothing but hills for miles around, no wonder this place was called the Highlands. The sky over head was an over cast of off white clouds that smothered any ray sunlight. The air was thick, the smell of the ocean giving it a salty taste on my tongue. If it didn't have so many sheep, and had a mall or two, I would totally dig it here.

"Don't wander off too far! We'll honk when its time to go." I waved my hand over my head, not even sparing my mother's warning with a backwards glance as I dredged up the hill.

Thank God, I'd decided to wear jeans and a sweater. Despite it being early summer, there was a bitter chill in the air. My dirty blond hair whipped around in the wind, dancing on the strong breeze. Scotland was a far cry from Florida.